Postponed: 2017 Big TN Dirt Loop - (later)

Started by kdtrull, May 03, 2017, 10:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdtrull

Taking the first shot at the Big TN Dirt Loop for 2017.  Arriving Friday, May 12....riding all day Saturday....come home on Sunday in time to make Mama happy.
Meriwether Lewis Campground, just off the Trace, just outside of Hohenwald.  Nice clean camp with restrooms but no showers....but it's free.

KevinB

I may be able to come up for a day ride on Saturday.

Jwwr

Definitely interested! Are you camping at Meriwether Friday and Saturday night? Can you hang a hammock there?

kdtrull

Quote from: Jwwr on May 03, 2017, 07:47:11 PM
Definitely interested! Are you camping at Meriwether Friday and Saturday night? Can you hang a hammock there?

Yep, both nights.  Trees everywhere.

kdtrull

I'll be taking off that Friday so any early birds can come get the local bonus tour if you want.  The big loop will be all day Saturday.

Yankee Dog

The Bratso and I will be there.  She has to work a partial day on Friday so I'm not sure how early we will get there.  Couple f questions.   

Will you use the same track you sent over a year r so ago.  If so I will load up my GPS.  Otherwise I will just follow blindly as usual

Are we headed into Hohenwald for eats or cookin.   We are bring the gigantor luxotent so the missus will have a car.  We can carry a few extra into town.  More if you don't mind imitating cord wood. 

kdtrull

The base route will be the same.  I'm sure flood damage will cause some improv once or twice.  And there's a few stray roads I wouldn't mind checking out....all time dependent.

I'm all for eating good in town.  Lunch on Saturday will probably time around Dixon again.

kdtrull

Forecast is for Rain sometime Friday...have to keep an eye on that.

Went to check on the camp today.  Meriwether is in good shape.  You'll know you're there when you see this:

AND This:

The restrooms are still nice and clean....and still don't have showers:

Camp spots near the poop-house are still in good enough shape:

Plenty of trees around for the hammocks.

There's a place just to the north called Fall Hollow Camp.  Has some showers and spots along the creek but it's 20 bucks per night:

There's a lounge with food on Thursday through Sunday:

It's a nice place but I don't know if it's $20.00/night nice:

Bath / Shower house:

Farther down towards the creek are some other nice spots...but a long way from the bath-house:

Hard to tell but there's about a 15' wide creek back there.

Just some options.  I'll probably stay at Meriwether due to being closer to Hohenwald/food/other stuff.

Yankee Dog

The only reason to stay at the $20 place is the on sight eatery.   But like you say, Hoheneald is not that far.  And we will have a taxi. 

Don't set up too close to the potty.  Last time the light kept me awake. 

kdtrull

Quote from: Yankee Dog on May 10, 2017, 07:03:37 PM
The only reason to stay at the $20 place is the on sight eatery.   But like you say, Hoheneald is not that far.  And we will have a taxi. 

Don't set up too close to the potty.  Last time the light kept me awake.

10-4.  Looks like the rain will make for a late Friday afternoon setup.  On the plus side, there will be little to no dust to deal with Saturday.  I may work Friday and come up afterwards.  I'll be monitoring the forecast closely. 

kdtrull

The rain forecast is pushing later and later into Friday evening.  Gonna' tap out for now and try again soon.