News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Riding a slow bike fast

Started by klaviator, June 01, 2017, 10:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Brian A on June 01, 2017, 07:36:24 PM
It occurred to me that when I think of "riding a slow bike fast" I think I really mean to what extent of the bike's potential am I taxing it?

If it is an R1 on the street (or track for that matter!) I am not coming anywhere close to riding it near its potential. (Side note - I'd wager that the majority of owners would fall into the same category. At differing levels, but in the same category.)

The smaller the displacement and the less of a specialized tool, the more I find myself able to push it. Take traction control out of the equation and I'd kill myself whacking the throttle wide open exiting turn in 2nd gear on an R1, CBR1000RR, etc.

Excellent analogy.  I've used this same thought in discussions when I was racing.  The question would come up, "Why don't you move up to a bigger/faster bike".  I would explain this, getting more of what the bike can give.  I'm pretty sure I was getting 90%+ out of the SV650 I raced, but the ZX-6R..I doubt I was getting 70% out of what it could do.

The satisfaction one gets from getting all the bike can give is overwhelming.....and very satisfying.