News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Wingin' It in the Mountains

Started by gharshman, June 13, 2017, 01:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrobinson

Here lately Sandy and I don't get any time off. We just have to take it.

Guidedawg

Thanks for the report and great pics!

Nice Goat

Thanks, everybody.  I hated that I missed the Gymkhana, but we had already scheduled this trip and made reservations.  A few comments about the trip...

The Goldwing did a great job on the trip.  For a simple weekend getaway for two people, if you are not bring camping gear, there is plenty of storage space.  I plan to get a trailer soon, but it would only be used for longer trips and/or carrying camping gear, cooler, etc.

While the Goldwing does have a good ability to lean, I was surprised that I was hitting the pegs so often on the Dragon.  It almost seemed too easy to do.  With just a bit more lean angle, I could have ridden the road even faster.  Maybe I just need to be okay with grinding the pegs...  Also, the Wing had plenty of power for passing quickly, even when I should not have been thinking about it.  The only downside to the bike is that it is almost too comfortable... it lulled Ms Goat to sleep at one point!  :D

While there was some traffic on the Dragon on Friday evening after 5:30pm, it was nowhere near what I would consider to be dangerous.  It was actually very enjoyable.  If I had been alone, I might have made several passes back and forth, because sunset was not until about 9:00pm.  That's at least three hours that you could enjoy the Dragon with relatively little drama in the late afternoon sunshine.

Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground is top notch.  From a cleanliness, friendliness, and customer-service standpoint, it is probably my favorite motorcycle campground.  I only wish that Wayne had another campground over near Cherokee or Maggie Valley.  I'm starting to feel that I have spent enough street time around Tellico, so my next street trip will probably be centered more to the east, like around Maggie Valley.  There is a lot to see over there also, and it's just too far to base camp in Tellico.  If anybody has any campground recommendations over near Maggie Valley, I'd be interesting in hearing them.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

There are two campgrounds reasonably near Maggie Valley.  Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is not too far away in Crusoe.  It has small cabins as well as tent camping.  It is at a pretty high elevation which is great in the summer but it will be chilly in spring and fall. They serve breakfast and dinner on weekends.  I have stayed there several times.  It's great and I highly recommend it.

Mile High Camground is also in the area.  I haven't stayed there round but have heard good things about it.  It might be the perfect place during a heat wave.  Ask Al Goodwin about it, he's stayed there. 

There are a bunch of other campgrounds in or near Maggie Valley but they seem to be geared towards RVs.