News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

A ride to totality, anyone thinking about it?

Started by kdtrull, July 13, 2017, 11:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gam

Quote from: Brian A on August 18, 2017, 10:08:09 AM
I have been laying low, waiting to the last minute to gauge weather and options before I made a final decision.
My thought had been jump on the Versys, ride to Deals Gap, hang out with my friends there and experience the eclipse, the ride home Monday evening after it is all over with.

I am now having serious reservations about doing so.

My general impression, based on a few posts by friends in the area: it is going to be a mad house all along the path.

Already crowded and expected to get a lot worse.

In my mind's eye I see mental pics that look like hoards of humanity, stuck on the roads, like you see when folks flee the coast when a hurricane warning is issued and the storm is 12 hours from landfall.

I might just settle for the 93.5% I get from my own yard in Moody.

I'm thinking the same thing, but Starr Mountain is pretty tempting, from my location I could take little back roads to Chatsworth, Ga, cross through Cohutta, then owswalt/clear creek rds, and then come in on Bullet Rd., from the Reliance side, but FS roads may be crazy as well.

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Mulley on August 18, 2017, 01:52:14 PM
Here is where I'll be watching the eclipse. You can reserve a spot and remove some stress. Each reserved spot comes with a pair of solar glasses.

I'll have my daughter with me, we'll be in the cage.

Amazin' Acres located in Sparta, TN

http://www.amazinacres.com/

I looked at Sparta.....it's dead center of the eclipse.

Al Goodwin

I called the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground.,...goes right to voice mail...reckon they have any room left for a small tent and motorcycle?

Surely they're not completely full.  :-\

We do't take up much room ya know. 8)

That's a field full if they are. :o

Al Goodwin

OK, got'em, finally.  Plenty of room left for tents.  $10/person per night.

Red457

Quote from: Al Goodwin on August 20, 2017, 02:44:46 PM
Looks like I'm heading that way too. I'm not finding any other areas available to camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Red457 on August 20, 2017, 03:22:34 PM
Looks like I'm heading that way too. I'm not finding any other areas available to camp

We'll be pulling in there around 1am eastern time......  maybe we won't wake the entire campground...or...maybe we WILL....LOL ;D

Red457

Quote from: Al Goodwin on August 20, 2017, 03:25:36 PM
Quote from: Red457 on August 20, 2017, 03:22:34 PM

We'll be pulling in there around 1am eastern time......  maybe we won't wake the entire campground...or...maybe we WILL....LOL ;D
Lol good deal. Y'all be safe

Nice Goat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.  #dadlife

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KrisCook

Quote from: Nice Goat on August 20, 2017, 04:32:40 PM
Life is what happens when you are making other plans.  #dadlife

Noooo!  What happened???
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Nice Goat

Quote from: KrisCook on August 20, 2017, 04:39:58 PM
Noooo!  What happened???

My daughter had an accident while skating Friday night.  We have to see Ortho doc Monday.  We had big plans to drive up to TN tonight and camp.  Not anymore.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

Quote from: Nice Goat on August 20, 2017, 04:44:29 PM

My daughter had an accident while skating Friday night.  We have to see Ortho doc Monday.  We had big plans to drive up to TN tonight and camp.  Not anymore.

Dang! Tell her we ALL wish her well.

Leg, close to her foot?
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kdtrull

Quote from: Nice Goat on August 20, 2017, 04:44:29 PM
Quote from: KrisCook on August 20, 2017, 04:39:58 PM
Noooo!  What happened???

Man....that is terrible.  I hope she is not in too much pain.  Have you considered and Orthopedic Surgeon in Middle TN?  ;D  Just kidding bro.  I hope all goes well and she makes a speedy recovery.  Very sorry for y'all.

kdtrull

Good luck on your trips, everyone.  As shown above, every day is full of many variables.

Chitza

That was one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed in my life. I didn't expect it, but when the totality hit, I was overcome with emotion and I burst in to tears.

I hope everyone is home safely.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Buzz

No ride report,  because out wasn't a ride.  I will say it was THE most amazing thing I have ever seen with my own eyes. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk