News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Juiced motorcycles

Started by springer, September 12, 2017, 08:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

We have all seen them on the internet, read about them in magazines, but has anyone rode one yet? Or, even better, owned one?

I'm talking about the ones you plug-in, not fill up.  ;) Those quiet little buggers. The ones with out exhaust pipes...or starter motors...or gas tanks...yea, electric motorcycles.  :)

I would love to get one..no, make that 2. One that will allow me to go to and from work with out a charge (about a 130 mile range. Work is 93 miles but I want some "long way home power" too.)

I also want a electric trials type bike. Something with lights n such so I don't have to haul it the mile or so to the dirt.  ;) That is what I have to do with my 2smoke trials bike and it is a bit of a pain. Load it up, strap it down in the truck. Crank the truck up, drive for a minuite or so then unstrap and unload it. Repete when it is time to go home.

It would be way moore funner just to ride it there, then ride home...without getting a ticket.  ;D

You could do that with an electric trials bike. Just add a headlight, taillight and boom...street legal. No EPA rules stuff, no noise, just motorcycling fun.

They show one in this video...and ooh man, do I wants me one...  ;D

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Mulley

I look forward to the day when it all comes together. The bikes themselves are solid and ready to ride now. The low battery storage capacity and loooooong recharge time is the setback at this time. I got a nice up-close look at the Alta Redshift MX bike. I even twisted the throttle (on the stand). It's freaky and cool. The regional sales rep was at the Tennessee Knockout Enduro, so Kyle and I bent his ear for about 15 minutes. Very cool guy and the bike is really going in the right direction.

Some folks will complain about the price but they are missing the fact that you practically have no maintenance other than tires, chain/sprocket and brake pads. The fuel and oil cost adds up pretty quick so there's definitely a payback.

Once we get a way to ride all day and not worry about the long "fill up" process. I'm onboard. Especially in a trials bike. I would like to have one of those now to ride in my back yard.

FYI, I'm really considering buying a plug-in hybrid mini-van for my wife right now. The technology is very solid and completely ready for the masses.

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Mulley

Info just released today. I will seriously consider this for my 8 year old (pending spousal unit approval of course).

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/beta-introduces-minicross-e/

2018 BETA MINICROSS-E
MSRP:  $1799.00 (includes extra battery pack)

Slede

man I'm digging where they are going I'm just waiting on the range to get up there, or at least reasonable charge time.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

gulfcoaster

Something to consider Springer...

http://www.ktm.com/us/e-ride/freeride-e-xc-1/

I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to tag, like most KTM's.  All you would need is a dealer that will play ball with the title, and possibly a few additions.

It's not exactly a trials bike, but I think the Hybrids that KTM and BETA are putting out seem pretty cool.  Especially since they're easy to plate.  Unfortunately nowhere suitable to ride them down here.

springer

Quote from: gulfcoaster on September 19, 2017, 04:10:01 PM
Something to consider Springer...

http://www.ktm.com/us/e-ride/freeride-e-xc-1/

I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to tag, like most KTM's.  All you would need is a dealer that will play ball with the title, and possibly a few additions.

It's not exactly a trials bike, but I think the Hybrids that KTM and BETA are putting out seem pretty cool.  Especially since they're easy to plate.  Unfortunately nowhere suitable to ride them down here.
That could be close enough to Rock-N-Roll for me.  :drooling-2: Got to get a test ride....or two first. :)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

dredman

QuoteWEIGHT READY TO RACE (WITHOUT FUEL)
238.1 lb.

WTF does that mean?   :thinking-022:

springer

Quote from: dredman on September 19, 2017, 06:12:43 PM
238.1 lb.

I am assuming you are getting the Ready to Race weight from the manufacture site?

If so, that is the weight of the bike with-out any electrons.  :DANCING-banana-032:

Mulley

Quote from: springer on September 19, 2017, 07:06:59 PM
Quote from: dredman on September 19, 2017, 06:12:43 PM
238.1 lb.

I am assuming you are getting the Ready to Race weight from the manufacture site?

If so, that is the weight of the bike with-out any electrons.  :DANCING-banana-032:

Hopefully they didn't let the electric smoke out to decrease the weight.

dredman

Holy Crap we HAVE to get some replacement smoke for Vintage - maybe like a table top full?
-harness smoke
-power bands(all colors)
-Box O' 'lectrons (for your green bikes)

What else do we need to collect?