Tellico Plains dual sport and camp weekend

Started by klaviator, October 14, 2020, 05:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

@SoloRider73 , @thinwater , and @Pepperlady all showed up on Thursday night. Here they are at the campground on Friday morning.

Our plan was to ride half a day and then come back to the campground to hook up with three more riders who where on their way.

The view in Tellico Plains:

Then it was on to Rafter Road. This is a fantastic road and this was my third time riding it on this trip so I really cranked it up
I found myself way ahead of the group so I picked a spot to set up and do my Killboy impersonation.

He only recently got this bike and was riding a bit tentatively.

Stephen on his RE Himalayan.

And Natalee on her DR200.

klaviator

Farther down the road.

Even with the overcast the colors were still beautiful.

TN_twowheeladdict

2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

klaviator

At the turn for the road Steve, Johnny and I had discovered the day before.

Stephen and Natallee.

Ronnie's Guzzi is gorgeous. If I win the lottery I'm buying one of these!

At this point Natallee is still riding slow enough for me to get good pics of her.

klaviator

I just loved this road.

Natalee was picking up speed and was getting hard to focus on ;D

I was cruising along, not paying enough attention when suddenly this 10 foot deep, giant mud sinkhole appeared out of nowhere:D So I hit the front brake and "layed er down"
One reason I sold my KLR and bought this was so I would have a bike I could pick up by myself. Yes it was easy to pick back up.

I wasn't thinking right so I picked up my bike before taking a pic!

I guess I could have layed it back down and taken a pic?

Instead I took a pic of the "giant" mud hole.

:D :D

It was actually bigger than it looks in the pic but I should have just blasted through it. I doubt it was much more than a foot deep.

TWJohn

Thank you Klaviator for putting this on. This is such a fantastic area. I am already thinking about when I can get back and do some more exploring.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

klaviator

Quote from: TWJohn on October 27, 2020, 08:49:11 AM
Thank you Klaviator for putting this on. This is such a fantastic area. I am already thinking about when I can get back and do some more exploring.

Thanks for coming.  It is a fantastic area.  There is so much in such a small area.  I looked at a map after I got home.  The entire 5 days I was there I never got more than 20 miles from Tellico Plains except for one time when we got maybe 23 miles from Tellico.  It would be easy to spend a whole week there and stay within 25 miles.   I am also looking forward to going back, possibly in November but more likely in the spring.

klaviator

We continued on and took a right at Citico Creek.

Johnny Tobyone

Guess I didn't lay mine down correctly :-[      Although I have had some practice  though out the years on the dirt  including the KDX over the bars into the creek bed ( must of been a lot younger then)  ;D
R1200R
CRF450L

Johnny Tobyone

Quote from: klaviator on October 26, 2020, 07:53:13 PM
Did you tell the policewoman that it hurt less when you pushed harder on the pedal?:D

Yeah I was pretty pitiful !!
R1200R
CRF450L

klaviator

Quote from: Johnny Tobyone on October 27, 2020, 03:11:39 PM
Guess I didn't lay mine down correctly :-[      Although I have had some practice  though out the years on the dirt  including the KDX over the bars into the creek bed ( must of been a lot younger then)  ;D

Johnny, someone on ADV had a great suggestion.  Check it out: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full-throttle-touring-150-through-the-rocket-city.647784/page-197#post-41119471

klaviator

We turned up the road to Farr Gap.

This is a very curvy road with a lot of places where there are giant switchbacks where you can see the road on the other side of the switchback. I took advantage of one of those spots to stop and get some pics.

Ghost rider?

Natalee was going so fast her bike just disappeared ;D

klaviator

She must have pushed the Ludicrous speed button just after the pic above.  If you haven't seen the movie "Space Balls" then you need to watch this video to get what comes next:

Yep, she was definitely at ludicrous speed!!!

Mulley

Another fantastic ride report. You really have a way with making a trip down a dirt road through the trees look amazing. Could you have picked a better week to go? I don't think so.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

klaviator

Quote from: Mulley on October 27, 2020, 05:59:47 PM
Another fantastic ride report. You really have a way with making a trip down a dirt road through the trees look amazing. Could you have picked a better week to go? I don't think so.

Thanks.  We definitely hit the leaves at their peak colors.