RFP #SE: Key West Iron Butt, April 13-17

Started by gharshman, December 13, 2015, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

LawnmowerRG

Ummm been thinking about doing this trip myself. Lets ride.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

jwdmotorsports

I'd love to go.
I would need to up my seat time between now and then. I'm not sure I trust either of my bikes for that kind of ride. I would need to go over a few things on the GS500 between now and then.

Nice Goat

I'm glad to see that so many folks are interested!  A word on hotel arrangements....

I don't know how many hotels there are in Key Largo, or when they fill up, but I only reserved two rooms at Courtyard Marriott in Key Largo, two queen beds per room.  So, whenever you are ready to commit to the trip, tell me if you want one of the four beds that I have reserved.  It will be first come, first served, but you need to be 99% positive that you are going before you commit to taking one of the beds.  It will cost about $90 per night.  If you share a room with me, be aware that I sometimes snore...loudly.  Bring earplugs.

Everybody else needs to (a) reserve your own room, or (b) plan on sleeping on the floor/balcony (at a reduced rate).

Johnny knows the owner/guy in Steinhatchie, and he is checking on reservations for 6-12 people.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

One other thing...

Don't mean to sound callous, but we have to cover a lot of miles on this trip.  Even though I am organizing the ride, I take no responsibility for your well-being.  You should pretend like you are taking this trip by yourself and rely/count on only yourself if you have problems.  Obviously, the group will try to help briefly, but we reserve the right to leave your ass in Bump-fart Egypt if you have a major problem.  Make sure that you and your bike are 100% ready.

Same goes for accidents.  Once the ambulance/police arrive, we are leaving you behind without remorse.  Moral of the story: Don't have any accidents either.

You are responsible for yourself.  Don't ride crazy.  Don't ride tired.  Don't ride angry.  Ride your own ride (...as long as it's not crazy/tired/angry).

jrobinson

Didn't sound callous to me. It's your ride, you call the shots. Having a good understanding of what is expected will go a long way to making this an enjoyable adventure. This will be something that will be talked about for a long time.

BTW, there will be a Harley on the trip.....don't be that guy that breaks down before the Harley does. You don't want to be that guy!

JBMFT

Quote from: gharshman on December 16, 2015, 11:57:02 AM
Everybody else needs to (a) reserve your own room, or (b) plan on sleeping on the floor/balcony (at a reduced rate).

I don't have to have a bed but I am in and would like some floor space. Put me down for B.  ;D

IceCold4x4

Quote from: jrobinson on December 16, 2015, 01:15:48 PM
Didn't sound callous to me. It's your ride, you call the shots. Having a good understanding of what is expected will go a long way to making this an enjoyable adventure. This will be something that will be talked about for a long time.

BTW, there will be a Harley on the trip.....don't be that guy that breaks down before the Harley does. You don't want to be that guy!

hehe, agreed. Don't break down before the Harley.

and that didn't sound harsh or callous. I wouldn't expect for people to wait on me and possibly ruin their chance at making the run.

TFancher

Hell, put me down as a definite maybe. I'll know more after the 1st of the year. Sounds like something I don't wanna miss.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Mash

I'm very interested I have completed some of this trip in the past but not as an iron butt I have always wanted to getter plate!

LawnmowerRG

Ok, Just got back from Orlando and the Central Florida Highland games. The Florida Troopers are working the WHOLE north end of I-75 hard. We will NOT be able to make up any time in that area if needed. They had probably 35/40 people pulled over between Ocala and I-10. I only saw 2 cars that were not parked behind someone with the Bubble Gum Machines going. Saw one never turn his off and stomp it to the floor to get his next one. I guessed he was running 90+ when he went out of sight the opposite direction. They were running in packs of 4 to 6.

I ran between 73 and 77 Even when being passed by traffic, but no faster. That seamed OK with them. None of the cages in the little group that was swapping around position ever disappeared until the I-10 split.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Nice Goat

Watching us, the police and troopers will get bored very quickly.  We won't be running any faster than speed limit +5.  As Brian noted above, it's not really necessary to complete the SS1000.

Moving time = 15 hours
Average Moving Speed = 1,000 miles / 15 hours = 67 mph

Rest time = 3 hours
Total time = 18 hours
Average overall speed = 1,000 / 18 hours = 56 mph

By the way, I have been collecting goodies for the ride participants....

Nice Goat

KevinB

Maybe we should appoint a blocker...someone to be our "Bandit".  :D

Brian A

Looking forward to this. I am thinking it is gonna be a load of fun.

GlenN, I don't know what the room count status is, but put me down for it if you still have a slot open at our destination. Bed if available, otherwise floor or balcony (I'll hang my hammock).

Also, there is a decent chance I may take a different route home. I'm kinda thinking as long as I'm in the neighborhood I might stop in for a re-visit night in Daytona Beach. I could enjoy a visit to the taffy shop and a walk out on the pier.

Still one of my all time favorite motorcycle road trips:

Nice Goat

Quote from: Brian A on January 19, 2016, 09:45:24 PM
Glenn, I don't know what the room count status is, but put me down for it if you still have a slot open at our destination. Bed if available, otherwise floor or balcony (I'll hang my hammock).

Status as of now:

Room #1 - Glenn, Kevin, JT
Room #2 - Brian, Burgman