Flash Mob to See "A story Worth Living" in Trussville Thursday May 19

Started by norton73, May 16, 2016, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

norton73

According to the Regal Cinema Website this movie is being shown at 7:30 in Trussville. Who wants to get together for beers and wings at Buffalo Wild Wings before hand?

6PM

Movie web site; https://astoryfilm.com/about
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Moto Guzzi

Would love to join ya for the movie but I have to work Thursday night.

kdtrull

kryten

I just came here to post about this for the people in the Hoover area. Carmike at Patton Creek is also showing it Thursday, May 19 at 7:30. I'll be there but won't be doing a flashmob before. I'll barely be able to make it in time for the movie.

LawnmowerRG

Work is going pretty good. I think I will be there. May ride the adventure bike, or maybe he Duc. So I will not be drinking. Wings sound good though.
Of coarse I just made sure that the truck will explode on and I will be attacked by a pack of ferrel dogs. Then have to fight zombies before the start time, but that is a normal day when self employed.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

norton73

norton73

Well...there were 4 of us last night. Lynn, Rodney, an out of town guest, and myself.

The movie was disappointing, way to much touchy feeling BS and too much talking about the difficulty of the riding that didn't appear to be that difficult nor was there enough of it.

The last part with the round table discussion was BORING and when they brought Charley Boorman in, I knew it was just gonna go down hill from there, so Lynn and I left.

kryten

The theater in Hoover was packed. The show was sold out. These guys must have pitched this movie on every motorcycle forum they could find. I knew going into it that it would probably not be great. I already got a bit of a hipster vibe from the trailer but I thought that they would at least show the ride and even if it's not something that most people on ADVRider would see as a challenge it would be a challenge to them and we would get to see them overcome it. I would have been fine with watching them ride on asphalt the whole time if they had shown more riding and them overcoming obstacles.

What we got instead was a bunch of hipsters talking about their feelings. There was some decent scenery but even that was poorly shot, overexposed and poorly edited. They spent a large portion of the "movie" talking to a guy who crashed his airplane and kept the mangled propellor as a big F-you to his older brother that always called him a worthless piece of shit and then another large chunk was them talking to a cowboy who got diddled by his uncle when he was a kid and now that's why he raises horses because apparently horses are safe because they don't try to butt rape you.

Apparently at least two of these guys are authors and a few of the others write for a website. You would think the narration would have been a bit better coming from professional writers. Instead we got a story of a story about how every life is a story and you should go discover the story of the story of your life story, story story story.

They had a production crew with them and I have to wonder what the hell those guys were doing the whole time. You see very little riding and a ton of unrelated B-roll that goes on way too long. Then at the end of the movie they all sit around talking about all the things that happened that they didn't film or at the very least edited out of the movie. If you've seen the trailer you've literally seen most of the actually motorcycle riding in the movie. The whole time I just had this feeling that they were trying way too hard to be deep and inspirational. All it really inspired me to do was get up and walk out of the theater but for some reason I stuck around until the end. It's very fitting that they talked via Skype to Charlie Boorman at the end. If you've seen Long Way Round and Long Way Down I got the same vibe from Charlie when he did his diary cams. Ewan McGregor was actually entertaining when he had the camera. He was enjoying the moment and talking about the ride and what it meant to him. Charlie was just happy they were letting him have a turn with the camera and trying desperately to find something to say that would be worthy of keeping in the film.

I got to see this movie for free but I still want to track these guys down and demand some sort of compensation for wasting my time. I feel sorry for anyone that paid to see this crapfest. I hung around and listened to the comments from people coming out and heard several people complain that there wasn't enough motorcycle riding or that they didn't understand why they pitched it as a motorcycle adventure when most of it was about their feelings that didn't even relate to the trip or motorcycles. I've seen many many much better motorcycle adventure documentaries from amateurs on YouTube.

If you wasted your time watching this and want to see real riders having fun and overcoming obstacles then go to YouTube and watch the By Way of Motorcycle series (https://www.youtube.com/user/billmaa/playlists) or The Adventure Prone series (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5B176A9B90443110). These amateurs made much more entertaining material than anything in this "movie".

JBMFT

Mulley

Quote from: kryten on May 20, 2016, 09:08:51 AM
The theater in Hoover was packed. The show was sold out. These guys must have pitched this movie on every motorcycle forum they could find. I knew going into it that it would probably not be great. I already got a bit of a hipster vibe from the trailer but I thought that they would at least show the ride and even if it's not something that most people on ADVRider would see as a challenge it would be a challenge to them and we would get to see them overcome it. I would have been fine with watching them ride on asphalt the whole time if they had shown more riding and them overcoming obstacles.

What we got instead was a bunch of hipsters talking about their feelings.

My feelings exactly. I was at the Patton Creek theater. I also watched it for free. This movie (I use that word loosely) was not entertaining in the least. I should have left but I sat through it and watched every disappointing scene until the end. I knew better. The first time I heard about the movie I knew what it was going to be. I was just hoping that the footage would make up for the whiny ass attitudes of the cast. Seriously who are these people and why in the hell did the sponsors think this was a good idea to back them? Seriously our local rides at The Ridge are more entertaining. At least interesting shit happens when we ride.

I've ridden all over the back country of Colorado on 2 separate trips. These jackasses didn't do a good job of describing it at all. They didn't talk about the ride, the route,  nothing. All they wanted to do was talk about how the felt. They are just a bunch of self-important, self-indulgent, whiny, hipster assholes. There is no way I would ever desire to ride or even meet these people.

"My life is based on a true story", this movie was based on fake inner feeling and trying to sell a fake message to people that were duped into buying $15 tickets by saying it was a motorcycle adventure story.

Could they possibly overuse the word "story" a little more? Oh my god! I was actually getting angry at the screen.

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

kryten

Haha! When the guy in your meme talked about getting married soon I turned to my wife and said, "Wonder who the lucky guy is?" These guys were all assclowns.

mojo1

GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

VWCarlos

I think the reviews posted here are more entertaining than the movie...  ;D
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

klaviator

Quote from: VWCarlos on May 20, 2016, 01:11:54 PM
I think the reviews posted here are more entertaining than the movie...  ;D

If you think these reviews are entertaining, you should see what's been posted on other forums.  Here's one from ADV: 
"I managed to sit through about 30 minutes of this piece of crap & I could taste vomit for 10 of them. Contrived garbage to fulfill an sponsorship agreement. If you get black jacked in a parking lot & come-to chained to a theater seat with this movie on the screen, see if you can work the straw out of your overpriced soda & use it to gouge out your eyes before any more damage is done."

Mulley

There were people cussing at the screen. I heard more than a few asking when the "story" would start. Stop talking about how you feel and tell the damn story.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC