News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Avoiding Birmingham

Started by Guidedawg, May 23, 2016, 02:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

Don't get insulted  ;D

Mrs. Dawg and I may ride 2 up to visit her brother in Meridianville (N of Huntsville) this holiday weekend and she prefers to bypass Bham on the bike.

Meridianville is on 231 so I could take it all the way from Montgomery, but the maps say it would be less time consuming (and a better ride IMO) to take 231 N to Sylacauga and then 77, 431, and 72.  This route would take me through Talladega, Gadsden, and Guntersville along the way.

It is the same mileage as taking I-65 and 565 but estimated to take an hour longer.

My plan is to drive the way I always do the in cage which is Interstate all the way.  I figure with an early start, traffic will not be bad on a Saturday morning and I can always take the slower route home Monday morning if preferred.

The only fear of taking I-65 for half of the state on a holiday weekend is the inevitable wrecks and back ups, and it's not like Hwy 31 would be much better in that case.

Nevertheless, assuming there are no accidents on the Interstate, is there a recommended "bypass" around Birmingham itself short of taking the parallel route above?  I would assume it would be far more trouble and time consuming to get close to Bham and not use 65 than it would to just take 431

klaviator

431 through Gadsden, Boaz and Albertville pretty much sucks with lots of traffic and lights.  Guntersville and North on the other hand are pretty nice.  I would consider coming up 231 then a right on 278 and left on 79 into Guntersville.  From there 431 is a pretty nice ride.

KevinB

Quote...assuming there are no accidents on the Interstate...

There will be crashes...doesn't matter the time of day or day of the week. Then add in the holiday traffic this weekend.

I avoid riding through town if at all possible. If I wind up having to, I thank the Lord when I'm through it for providing safe passage. I'm totally serious.

Working crashes in the metro area has proven to me the inept level of competency and complete apathy for the safety of others amongst drivers.

I was going to suggest the same route as Klav.

norton73

From Johnnie's first map, I'd stay on 231 through Ashville to Arab, then go right (east) on 69 into Guntersville, then continue up 72.

Loose nut holding the handlebars

Slede

I would go north and start flipping quarters, it's worked out pretty good so far.....
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

Yankee Dog

The shortest distance between two points is the freeway.    Your just gonna have to make a decision.  I would however like to second the Klav's comment on the traffic through Gadsden and such.   Not Bham. But not fun either. 

Crandon

Let me know when y'all are up here, if I am off work and we can work it out it would be great to meet up with y'all for a bit.  I will be down in Joppa all day on Monday though working on my mom's house.

Nice Goat

Norton's suggestion would be the least traffic and least headaches, IMHO.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Guidedawg

Life has happened and it looks like we are going to be staying at home, but I appreciate all the suggestions.  They may be utilized on a future date.
Thanks!

WECSOG

Quote from: klaviator on May 23, 2016, 04:07:20 PM
431 through Gadsden, Boaz and Albertville pretty much sucks with lots of traffic and lights.  Guntersville and North on the other hand are pretty nice.  I would consider coming up 231 then a right on 278 and left on 79 into Guntersville.  From there 431 is a pretty nice ride.

This. Best route you're gonna find without adding a lot of miles.