News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

CRF150F maintenance

Started by Joe Shimano, June 09, 2016, 05:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2smoke

Darn! I ordered a kit for the 185. It had everything but the O ring way up inside around the main jet. Orielly auto parts matched it perfectly

Joe Shimano

keep your fingers crossed

Pulled the carb and recleaned.  Gave the float a 'tweak' and so far it hasn't  leaked.

crap, crap, crap.  Road around this afternoon and it started leaking again....

bblass

Have you tried giving the side of the bowl a little percussive maintenance when it starts to overflow? I've got a ttr-225 that does that from time to time. A couple of gentle whacks to the side usually fixes the issue.

Probably a bur or something on the dowel that connects the float to the needle valve.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Joe Shimano

Quote from: bblass on June 13, 2016, 08:24:02 AM
Have you tried giving the side of the bowl a little percussive maintenance when it starts to overflow? I've got a ttr-225 that does that from time to time. A couple of gentle whacks to the side usually fixes the issue.

Probably a bur or something on the dowel that connects the float to the needle valve.

Nope. But will try. Shopping for new jets and probably rebuild kit this week

Thanks for the tip

Joe Shimano

I may need professional help on this.  Rejetted with 42 slow and 105 main. Ran awful
Still leaking out over flow.  And to top it off I tore the fuel line taking it off.

Having a beer and calling it a day

Postmaster

Here is a thought.  When I rebuilt my 78 CX 500, I had the same problem.  Drove me crazy for about two weeks.  I finally found the problem.  Fuel was NOT leaking out of the top of the overflow tube, but instead it was leaking close to the bottom of the overflow tube.  The overflow tube was cracked.  Here is how I found it.  Take the bowl off of the carb and sit it as level as you can.  Fill the bowl up with gas, not any other liquid, almost to the top of the over flow tube.  Check the level of the fuel every few hours or the next day.  When I did this, the fuel had dropped to a certain level then stopped.  It took a magnifying glass to find the crack, but it was there. 

The overflow tube on the CX was pressed into the bowl and was not replaceable.  I used solder and tried to fix it.   Didn't work real well, so I bought a used bowl off eBay.  Did the same test on the eBay bowl, no leaks.  Replaced the bowl, no more leak.

Might not be your problem, but it is another thing to check.   

Joe Shimano

Won't hurt to test it. Thanks

Going to pick up some small clear tubing to put on the overflow tube and see if I can find the fuel level in the bowl

matthew.j.riley1

Check the seat on the float valve. It could be leaking past if its seal is damaged or gunked up. +1 on the overflow tube too.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

SpeedyR

and make sure you have the fuel/vent lines correct. i chased around an overflowing float bowl an extra day before I figured out I had put the hoses back in the wrong order. lol.

kdtrull

Quote from: Joe Shimano on June 17, 2016, 06:43:55 AM

Going to pick up some small clear tubing to put on the overflow tube and see if I can find the fuel level in the bowl

Great idea with the tygon tubing sight glass!

Is that what you're thinking???

Joe Shimano

Quote from: kdtrull on June 17, 2016, 07:37:38 PM
Quote from: Joe Shimano on June 17, 2016, 06:43:55 AM

Great idea with the tygon tubing sight glass!

Is that what you're thinking???

That's it

Joe Shimano

CRAP. That new float valve didn't help at all

griff

I've had this issue with several CRF's. One ended up having a float that didn't float. Next time your messing with it, take the float out and put it in a cut of gasoline. Leave it for a few hours. Mine would sink after a while.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

Joe Shimano

This was it I believe.  Gave it some tough love with a screwdriver handle and it stopped. 

bblass

Quote from: Joe Shimano on June 20, 2016, 06:40:00 PM

This was it I believe.  Gave it some tough love with a screwdriver handle and it stopped.
If there was one thing I learned in the army it was that hitting the offending object will solve 90% of its issues and has the added benefit of making you feel immensely better
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...