News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Sport Touring Bikes

Started by MadMax, September 14, 2015, 06:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMax

Just got some awesome news!  I'm finally going to be able to afford to get another ride and I am considering a sport touring bike this time.  I've been seriously considering the FJR1300, but I'm still swinging between FJR1300, ST1300, or the Concourse 1400.

My previous bike was a V-Star 1300 and I like it fine, but after riding a while in that "cruiser position" my lower back would start hurting.  I'm hoping with the Sport-Touring the riding position (foot pegs closer under me) will help alleviate the back ache.  Plus I like getting on the gas from time to time  ;D

So post em up and tell me what you like / dislike about your ride.  Help a brotha out cause I need to get it right the first time.  (And yes, I will be test riding each before buying one.)

Shepcam

Go big or go home! Only thing I didn't like was the wind screen. Installed a Puig touring and a MRA X-screen and she is a beaut Clark. I did ride a FJR and it was ok, it felt a little lighter but did not have a solid feel to it nor did it have the torque. There are some quirks such as the KIPASS system and the linked brakes but it just adds to the character. I am very happy with my choice!

2013 Kawasaki Concours

terryrussell1

I have the second generation fjr. Nice bike and very refined feeling. I bought the bike in Saint Louis and rode it 9 hours home. Not much fatigue in the back. I was just overall tired. The bike has a stock seat with 1 in bar risers. Not sure what year you are looking for but the new fjr is suppose to nicer in the electronics area. For reference I'm 5'11 185 lbs

terryrussell1

Nice Goat

I had an ST1300.  It was a great bike.  I liked it, but I didn't love it.  The seating position was a bit cramped, and I'm only 5'11".  Also, Honda has not redesigned the bike since it was introduced in 2002.  According to their website, the last production year was 2012.  It is very reliable though --- 200k miles is not unusual.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Shepcam

Just do your research. I did for about 4 months before I made my mind up. A lot of it just comes down to whats your taste. The FJR by far has the better goodies, the electronic fork adjustment is very cool. Like Glenn said the ST is just outdated and the Connie is running second. Kawa did a few updates to the '15 model so check into that. Also consider the Versys 1000 and the FJ09, both are very popular right now and great bikes if you want something lighter and more sporty. For me I just liked the looks of the Connie and I found a new leftover '13 for a great price. If money was no object, I would be riding a K1200GT!
2013 Kawasaki Concours

ThumperTriple

I have an FJ-09, I've ridden it as much at 250 miles in a day- I slept very hard that night. I have a big 3 day ride coming up and a Corbin seat coming in soon to improve it for the long haul.

When you hit the twisties, or even go for the throttle, the bike feel so nimble alive. I really enjoy it.

Fencer

I just saw a posting On FJRriders for an 07 AE with 4700 miles and a top case for $7k

This is a Gen 2 FJR.  I have an 06 with 43K trouble free miles

mojo1

I have a FZ1 which is more sport than touring but I do 400 - 600 miles on a day ride all the time. The only thing for me is that my butt is getting tired by the end of the day.

GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Zeus

I ride a BMW K1200RS that I've owned for 14 years as of this week. The only issues I've had with it is seal failure on the main bearing on crank just like a car and final drive seal by the rear brake rotor. Both of which I replaced myself.
The "flying brick" is the most durable engine on the planet. Not the new wet clutch type that they call "K" bikes.

IceCold4x4

Have a look at a zrx. Loads of fun great character and 500 moles in a day wasn't anything. Plus you have the zrxoa for support and there are more mods to be done than one can shake a stick at.

MadMax

Great posts from all variants I have been considering.  I have pretty much rules the ST out due to the research I have done.  Great long lasting bike, but it seems to be a consensus seems to be that it lacks excitement and is a very hot bike to ride.

That being said, there is a lot to consider between the FJR and the Connie.  I really need to stay under $7K budget wise, so my options are somewhat limited meaning BMW and some other options are out of my price range (for the most part).

There is a 2008 FJR in Newnan, GA for $6995 or a 2010 Connie in Henrietta for $6500 right now with comparable mileage that I like.

FJR - http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/mcy/5221604568.html
Connie - http://clarksville.craigslist.org/mcy/5212694032.html

Any thoughts about these two bikes as far as which would be the better choice?

MadMax

Here's one I just found that my wife really likes

Yankee Dog

Where did you find that bike/photo.  It is the same one from the LAAM custom seat website.  I smell a scam.  Be careful.

MadMax

That's how I figured it out.  I did a google image search on it because I couldn't remember which website I had seen it on as "for sale".