News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Weekend ride chasing counties

Started by Chuck & Susan, April 12, 2024, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck & Susan

I have been wanting to tag more counties in Alabama for awhile. Two days ago I seen that a good friend of mine who is the president of Fire And Iron Station 156 was having a benefit ride in Tuscaloosa on Saturday morning. So I decided to use that as a good excuse to ride north and chase a few more counties to post.

Day 1 - Friday

I was always raised that I  had to get my chores done before I could go play.  After getting house chores done and taking the grandson to get his retainers, I pulled the bike out and checked it over. All good and tossed a bag in the back. Pulled out from the house in south Alabama about noon with absolute wonderful weather.
Headed north on AL- 59 into Monroe Co. Linked up to AL-41. Found the first 10 miles where uneven grooves. With a strong cross wind from the west it made things rather twitchy in a nice winding road. At one spot it was down to one lane due to a landslide that took out the entire south bound lane. It was under repair. My first target was Perry County. Picked up a picture as I entered Marion.

Next I set my sites on Bibb Co.  Followed AL-5 north. Just before I entered Brent I seen the SawMeal restaurant that Susan and I met several members at for a flash mob meal. I thought I would use it for a pic in Bibb Co.

Found out the Alabama A day game is Saturday and the hotels wanted 400 bucks a night.... I don't think so...
I  headed up I-20 to the McCalls exit to a Quality Inn that Susan and I have stayed at several times.  Basic but not a bad place at all. And food just across the street.

Nice relaxing and very enjoyable ride only logging 242.9 miles for the day.

It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

Day 2 - Saturday

Left McCalls about 8:30 heading to T-town HD in Cottondale. Refreshing 30min ride on I-20 at 43 degrees.  I will admit I made use of the heated grips and seat. Hey if the bike has toys, might as well use them. Met with several long time friends with Fire And Iron MC for several hours. Great guys and firefighters.
Departed mid day and headed towards Jasper on hwy 69 north. It had warmed up to near 70 and not a cloud in the sky. Stopped to take a pic entering Oakman in Walker County.

Then another stop entering Jasper, also in Walker County.

Then GPS sent me towards Cullman and I-65 up to Athens in Limestone County.

Lauderdale County was next following hwy 72. I found this sign for Joe Wheeler State Park Resort just before hwy 101 which allowed me to turn south and bypass Florence and Muscle Shoals area and stay on the back roads.

I rode south through Colbert County and stopped for pics in Littleville. And sitting here in the hotel I can't find them on my phone. I guess this smartphone is not smart enough to keep the idiot user from accidentally deleting them. Oh well I will backtrack in the morning and try again. Just means more miles tomorrow. Oh Darn.... lol

I did get Welcome to Russellville in Franklin County. 

Decided to camp out for the night at the EconoLodge. And only logged 259.1 miles for the day.

2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

Day 3 - Sunday

Throttled up around 8am and backtracked north a few miles to recapture pictures in Colbert County. Rolled into Littleville and located the Littleville VFD.

Around the corner was the Senior Center and feeling like I'm getting there, I took another picture.

Then headed south for Vernon in Lamar County. I  made a couple of stops along the way for coffee and both times I spent a hour or so talking with locals that where hanging out socializing. Very friendly folks and we know how people like to talk motorcycles. Here are the pics from Lamar County.

Then it was on to Carrollton in Pickens County.

Next on the list was Eutaw in Greene County.

Lastly for the day is Sumter County.

It had been a wonderful sunny day of ridding through the country settings and spending time with friendly people. It would have been a push to finish the counties left on the list. I'm liking the relaxing pace. The only hotel in the region is in York at I-20. So I set up camp for the night.
197.3 miles for the day.... guess I spent too much time talking.... but that just means I have another day added to this adventure and I'll get. Home tomorrow and start on chores again.....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Guidedawg

Getting out and leisurely exploring the state - I love it!  Wow on having to backtrack to document places you already claimed, but as you pointed out, it's still time on a motorcycle so it's all good.

Chuck & Susan

Day 4 - Monday - Heading Home

Woke up to a very dense fog. I hung out drinking coffee till it seemed like I had a 10th to a quarter mile viability. Dried the seat and windshield and headed south on AL-17 towards Butler in Choctaw County. By the time I got there it was clear sunshine. When I stopped to take a pic of the welcome sign I was swarmed with mosquitoes so I didn't stay long.

While riding through town i seen this water tower. Until last week there was one just like it in Malbis.  They had to remove the old landmark due to safety issues.  I had to stop and get a pic of this one.

Then I continued on south to Washington County. I stopped again for the welcome sign in Millry. And again got attacked by mosquitoes. Who knew taking pictures was so dangerous. And again I didn't stay long.

In town I spotted this awesome memorial and had to stop to get a good look.

I'd also would like to say THANK YOU to all that has served this country and their family that has also sacrificed as they served.

Then I looked south again on AL-17 to US-45 south to Mobile County. As soon as you cross the county line your in Citronelle and another pic. Least this welcome sign didn't have attack mosquitoes guarding it.

After crossing the Cochrane - Africa town bridge I made a stop for a pic of the Bankhead Tunnel. I  remember paying a quarter toll each way.. It has a 12 foot  height limit and gets challenged weekly and sometimes daily.  Opened in 1941 it has never lost a battle with trucks or RVs. It has its own cute Facebook page. Check it out.

As many times I have rode my motorcycle in Mobile County I personally have never cared for it. So I purposely saved Mobile County to be the last on my list. In fact the very best view I have ever seen of Mobile is the one in my rear view mirror as I get back into Baldwin County.

Next stop was home after a short day ride of 185.6 miles for the day. And 899.1 miles for the 4 day adventure.

With that, I believe, finishes the list of 67 Alabama Countys. I would like to thank Guidedog for starting this challenge. I have really enjoyed the leisure ride around the state and seeing things and areas I didn't know existed. I strongly encourage others to do the same, no matter if it takes years. Just get out and go enjoy the ride. And ride safe!!

Chuck
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Guidedawg

Quote from: Chuck & Susan on April 16, 2024, 07:41:13 PMI have really enjoyed the leisure ride around the state and seeing things and areas I didn't know existed. I strongly encourage others to do the same, no matter if it takes years. Just get out and go enjoy the ride. And ride safe!!

Hear, hear!  That's the spirit of this site.
Thanks for sharing the adventure.