News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Ducati?

Started by bblass, August 11, 2016, 08:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

Ever since chasing IceCold 4x4 through Cheaha on my harley a couple of weeks ago I've come to realize something is missing from my life - lean angle and handling.

I went and test rode a ducati monster at their demo days last weekend and really liked the bike. I didn't 10K like it but I liked it enough to start perusing craigslist for a nice used model. Does anyone on here have any pointers about buying a duc? Any resounding warnings not to? I prefer the feel of an L Twin or V twin motor compared to an inline so that pretty much leaves me with a duc, a buell or an SV. I've owned a vstrom before and loved it.

Better off looking for an SV1000 or used 1125r? Anyone know of any sweet deals on the horizon?
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

klaviator

Aprilia also makes a 750 V-twin and of course there's the old V-twin Touno.  I think Midway Cycles in Madison might have a used Aprilia 750.  If it was me I'd be looking at an SV650.  I had a 99 SV650 and it was a great bike.

SpeedyR

lots of options for sporty twins. A well sorted SV could be cheap and fun to ride. I know when I was racing them and doing track days they were a hoot. Also check out some of the original KTM 950/990 bikes.  950 SuperMoto, 990 Super Duke, 990 SMT, etc. Hard to beat those bikes, a nice one can be had for $6-8k and they are pretty durable.

Aprilia V-twin Tuonos. excellent bike with the right looks, sounds, and pedigree.

Ducati- any of the many versions of the Monsters are fun. Newer ducatis are usually better as far as maintenance but friends that have them love them. Not the best if you ride tons and tons of miles every year on it but always fun to ride.

Triumph- maybe see what used Street Triples are going for? 675 triple. Wife had one (the R model) and did some track days. All day comfort, but still a great all around bike. Speed Triple if you want bigger motor, but the 675 version was awesome and had plenty of power for most folks.

I just picked up a 1290 Super Duke-R. stupid fun on a street bike, but easy to ride if you leave the electronics on. :)

bblass

I've thought about the SV 650 pretty hard and heavy. That may be the winner just based off availability and it's potential to one day become a track day only bike. The suzuki L twin is a great motor and dead nuts reliable.

Also really love the idea of the speed triple just off the way they sound. I've never ridden one but would jump at the chance. Aprilla's scare me a little bit just based on the cost & availability of replacement parts, although that's probably unfounded.

This won't be an every day bike. I love my harley as a commuter. All that torque and weight makes it an easy ride. Mostly just looking for something to hoon on.

IceCold4x4

Super duke 990 dunno why I didn't think about suggesting one if those. Hell of a nice bike....

bblass

sure is, unfortunately part of the wife's eventual agreement to adding a 6th motorcycle to the garage was that we keep the budget around 5K. Pretty hard to find a street legal katoom for that

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

KevinB

Hooning? Street legal Katoom? For @ $5k?

No need for 2 cylinders...

3rd gen. 690

Or an early 4th gen. 690 (2013)

It's "only" a single but unless you're going to spend a lot of time at 100+ mph, I find myself much faster/quicker on the same twisties riding the Duke as I was on my 145 hp liter bike.

I've never ridden a Gen. III, but the seat on the Gen. IV is as comfortable as any seat I've ever had on a bike. I've done 385 miles on mine with no issues other than the normal "I'm ready to get off this thing!" that I experience on any bike at @ 400 miles.

bblass

A 690 super moto would be sweet! Even better I've got a neighbor who's already figured out how to do most of the work on one.

This is going to probably be my last bike for awhile (at least that's what I'm telling the boss) so I appreciate ya'lls help getting it right!

Fencejumper09

I can't help too much with 2014 and newer Dukes. They switched to ride-by-wire and dual spark!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

bblass

Not going to be an issue with my budget. Am hoping to find something with ABS though so that might knock them out

Mulley

I don't have much input on Ducs but I do have a 2009 Aprilia Tuono Factory. You may be able to find an early 2nd gen and definitely a first gen right at your budget price.

My bike is an absolute blast to ride. I've been very pleased with it so far. I call it a comfortable race bike. It will haul ass and is still comfortable and I'm 5'-11" 265lbs. I've had no problems in 18,000 miles on it until now. I think it's time for new clutch plates but that's a wear item.

Fair warning though. Big V-twins can eat rubber faster than you can imagine. Sportbike rear tires (ie, Rosso II, Q3, etc) are gone in 2,500 miles. Michelin Pilot Roads don't quiet double that mileage. So you've been warned. This is not the bike for folks that want to eat up a bunch of miles on the cheap. Also they are very thirsty. I get around 32 mpg of premium fuel. This bike is not cheaper to ride per mile than a commuter car. It's made for have fun and it's damn good at it.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Chitza

I can't speak to any of the bikes mentioned except the SV. I owned one for a short time when I first started riding. It was a flipper...I paid $300 for it, refurbished it and sold it. I think I should have kept it.

I can speak on tires, though. Avon Storms all the way. I have had 2 sets. I'm not an aggressive rider, but I got 8000 miles out of my first set with good tread remaining. I only switched because I was planning a 10,000 mile trip.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

klaviator

Just a thought about Aprilia's in general.  I had a Aprilia Sport City 250 which I ran pretty hard.  I put 25000 miles on it before giving it to my son.  I never had any issues getting parts, not that I needed many parts.  I had no maintenance issues other than a leaking fork seal.  There aren't many dealers around but you can always get parts online.  Because of the lack of dealers I would only recommend getting an Aprilia if you do your own maintenance. 

bblass

Quote from: klaviator on August 11, 2016, 05:11:47 PM
Just a thought about Aprilia's in general.  I had a Aprilia Sport City 250 which I ran pretty hard.  I put 25000 miles on it before giving it to my son.  I never had any issues getting parts, not that I needed many parts.  I had no maintenance issues other than a leaking fork seal.  There aren't many dealers around but you can always get parts online.  Because of the lack of dealers I would only recommend getting an Aprilia if you do your own maintenance.

I plan on doing my all maintenance and reasonable repairs. The SV appeals to me but I'm hoping for something with a little more grunt. With any luck people will start putting more stuff on Craigslist than failed investment Harley's and clapped out stretched and wrecked sportbikes. Aprilia's duc's and VFRs are unfortunately uncommon in this area. Guess the people who have them love them!

Maybe someone on here will see this and decide they're ready to pass along their old scoot and get the new one they've had their eye on. I've had nothing but amazing luck with legacy Bama rides bikes!