News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Ducati?

Started by bblass, August 11, 2016, 08:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

Quote from: bblass on August 11, 2016, 05:20:17 PM
Aprilia's duc's and VFRs are unfortunately uncommon in this area. Guess the people who have them love them!

A VFR would be a great find. Keep an eye out nationwide on CycleTrader, ADV, etc. You should be able to find a 5th gen. ('98 - '01) @ $3 - 3.5k, and then just add a few hundred $$ to have it shipped. They are bulletproof (only issue is weak R/R's...easy fix/upgrade) and will easily go 100k miles. That generation was also the last without VTEC and with the gear driven cams.

KevinB

Slede

how bout a maintence free ducati

rc51  8)
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

bblass

Quote from: Slede on August 11, 2016, 09:13:35 PM

rc51  8)
I would love to find an RC 51! That 950 is sweet too. Gonna have to do some research on that one
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

klaviator

Quote from: bblass on August 11, 2016, 09:17:55 PM

rc51  8)
I would love to find an RC 51! That 950 is sweet too. Gonna have to do some research on that one

Have you ever ridden an RC 51?  I did.  Nice motor but steering by Peterbilt and ergonomics by Marquis de Sade.

lk2rd

Lack of a local stealership is not an issue unless your bike is under warranty. There are a few good independent shops that have good reputations and for the most part, they have worked in the francised establishments.  Think about it, would you rather take your bike into a shop that appreciates yours patronage or the local Duc dealer?  I own a 2nd Gen Aprilia Tuono and after 37k miles,  a pinched wire has been the only problem.   I've done several 600+ mile days and it's comfy enough for me.  It hasn't even needed a valve adjustment since new.   Browse apriliaforum.com to get an understanding of the brand and the for sale section for some good deals.  I'm not saying you should buy an Aprilia  but, definitely don't be afraid of one.

lk2rd

Quote from: klaviator on August 11, 2016, 10:04:32 PM
Quote from: bblass on August 11, 2016, 09:17:55 PM

rc51  8)

Have you ever ridden an RC 51?  I did.  Nice motor but steering by Peterbilt and ergonomics by Marquis de Sade.
Maybe not that bad but, you get the idea.  I always thought I wanted an RC51 until I knew better.

DachshundUberAlles

Quote from: bblass on August 11, 2016, 05:20:17 PMWith any luck people will start putting more stuff on Craigslist than failed investment Harley's and clapped out stretched and wrecked sportbikes. Aprilia's duc's and VFRs are unfortunately uncommon in this area. Guess the people who have them love them!

Maybe someone on here will see this and decide they're ready to pass along their old scoot and get the new one they've had their eye on. I've had nothing but amazing luck with legacy Bama rides bikes!

I might be able to help you out with that.
;D
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Slede

When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

matthew.j.riley1

My last 2 street bikes were ducs. After experiencing the low end torque of ducati's L twin I would probably never drive anything else. My advice is look for a bike with the liquid cooled testastretta engine. If your wanting an all out sportbike look for a good used 1098 or 848 but if you want something sporty with more comfortable ergos go for the diavel. A monster is a fun bike too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

merc16

Sooo, did the op find a twin to his liking?
Justin

bblass

I bought a KTM 640 Enduro with an extra set of sumo tires last year that's been holding me over. Still got the itch for something a little sportier though.

Probably pickup the hunt again this spring. Winter is dual sport and dirt season!

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

IceCold4x4

Quote from: bblass on December 26, 2017, 08:28:22 AM
I bought a KTM 640 Enduro with an extra set of sumo tires last year that's been holding me over. Still got the itch for something a little sportier though.

Probably pickup the hunt again this spring. Winter is dual sport and dirt season!
I've had my duc for a month now and op still hasn't taken it for a spin....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk