News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Tubliss Question

Started by KevinB, September 15, 2016, 07:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

For those using Tubliss inserts for dual-sport use, what type of pressure are you running?

I'm slowing learning to reduce pressure compared to tubes, but I'm not sure how low I can go and still be safe on pavement. Currently I'm running @ 12.5 psi with D606's, but I'm still having trouble getting any traction on the dirt. Can I drop it to @ 8 psi and still be OK on the street? I'm looking for a happy medium that won't require stopping to air up/down.

Nice Goat

I think I ran 9 psi for normal daily stuff, and ran 4 psi for the hare scramble.  But I had Geomax AT81s installed at the time.  Just trial and error to find what you like.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

SpeedyR

what bike? I assume the XR400...

the only disadvantage to using lower pressure on the street is you can get more heat in the carcass because of the flex, so if you are running on the pavement for a while, stop and check the heat on the tire. other than that, you can go lower.

I have tubliss on a rear pirelli MT43 trials tire and run it around 5-6psi and it's fine not eh street on a KTM 450. did a lot of riding in CO on that and it was fine. I run one on the front as well with a variety of front tires, usually around 10-11psi (I don't like the feel in the front of low pressure). The stiffer the carcass of the tire the lower you can run the pressure.

the 606 is a decent front tire, but maybe try something different in the rear. haven't heard great things about the rear. At least on the big bikes (my 950) most go to the 908RR rear with the 606 front.

LRobinson

Kevin, I have run about 8 with the D606 and 6 with an AT81 on the rear of my XR400.  Never had issues but I have never ran more than about 20 miles of pavement at a time on it.    I have Tubliss on the 650L as well and have ran 10 in a D606 on the rear for many miles at a time. 

lk2rd

Would it make sense to carry one of the 12 volt tire inflator and adjuse pressures according to conditions?  Even one of the small $10 ones from Wally World should work pretty fast at the pressures you need. 

KevinB

I keep one of those under the seat on both the street bikes (I carry a small CO2 inflator on the XR). I've aired down/up before where I've ridden to the dirt, then spent most of the day off-road...for rides like today where it was back and forth constantly from pavement to dirt, I'm just too lazy to do it.  :)

I'll drop the pressures and learn to trust the sorcery of the Tubliss system.  :D

Postmaster

I agree with Larry about the street issue.  Not too much pavement.

KTM 500 exc, I run 11 in the front and 5 in the rear.