News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Where to find a project bike?

Started by bblass, September 16, 2016, 08:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

First off, let me apologize for coming to this well way too often. A while back I posted up that I was looking for a sport bike. I looked around but didn't find anything that needed some work, still had a clean title and the current owner didn't believe was worth far more than I did.

The wife has suggested I get another project bike but at the moment I'm having a heck of a time finding something. I've rebuilt a CB750 so I'd like to do an old BSA, Triumph or Harley next. I've been scouring Craigslist and the various Facebook trader groups the past couple of weeks but there's nothing really coming up. I figure worst case scenario I can take cash to Barber's and hope for the best.

Does anyone know of a good source for project bikes or know of someone with an old basket case that needs some love?

Thanks!

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Chitza

Paging Norton73 and motoGuzzi to the white courtesy phone 8)

If you're not in a rush, I would wait to see what you find at Barber Vintage Fest.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Chitza

Oh...and I have a 1955 Harley Hummer that I haven't started working on yet. You can help with that if you're bored :D
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

bblass

Those hummer's are sweet little bikes, I would love to help wrench on it!

norton73

I have nothing kicking around the garage that wouldn't be a huge challenge or cheap.

If you are on Facebook, you might check out the North Alabama Vintage Bike Club. Mostly 60s and 70s Japanese, but they list other stuff too.

The is a poster used to be called Magoo(?), a friend of Springer's, that was selling off some bikes from his deceased brother's collection.

Loose nut holding the handlebars

Moto Guzzi

Chitza hit the nail on the head, Vintage Fest is right around the corner and would be an excellent opportunity to find a decent project.

Norton73's suggestion of checking out the NAVMC Facebook page is also very good idea.  They are a very active bunch and several of them are into restoring bikes.  I know many of them are planning to attend Vintage Fest. 

I too do not have any project bikes to sell at the moment that wouldn't fall into the "huge challenge/not cheap to fix up" category.

bblass

Thanks for the tip about North Alabama Vintage Bike Club!

I'd prefer a huge challenge so long as it's a near complete bike. Ideally looking for something non-running that's not impossible to find parts for. Hoping to spend around 1K and have a nice little scoot after putting another 1 or 2 into it.

My next two weekends just freed up so I was hoping to find something before vintage fest

Moto Guzzi

I have a friend over in Savannah who usually has a project or two for sale. I texted him to see what he has available.  I will let you know what he says.

Brian A

I have a Yamaha XS650 that is for sale. Have not posted it or made serious efforts to move it, but it is for sale.
Technically it is my son's (gave it to him when he made good on our agreement for his college results).
He is now looking to buy his first home and would like to sell it and look to buy something else later on down the road.

In summary - It runs, but last time I rode it it had some carb problems. Sputtered and pop some but still ran.
I recently stripped down the carbs completely, soaked them, cleaned jets etc and put it all back together. Battery is dead so I could not start it. Might try jumping this weekend.

Bike has aftermarket exhaust, ignition, shocks, new chain, and other stuff.

A box full of extra carb parts (including two good bodies) and other misc stuff.

It would be a great "project bike" as all it needs is (so far as I know) verifying and/or resolving carb issues and a new battery. Or you could tear into in and do as much mod work as you want.  The XS650 has a pretty big following and lots of parts/mod/service available.

It is in my garage now. This pic is exactly how it looks now.

$850

Holler if you are interested.

Moto Guzzi

My friend in Savannah has a 1968 Suzuki 250 Hustler TC.  Runs but needs crank seals.  $800.  I can get pictures if you are interested. Edited to add pictures

KevinB

I've got an '83 Suzuki GS650G languishing in the garage. I'll post details/pics when I get to a laptop.

norton73

There's no such thing as a cheap project bike. The cheaper the bike, the more you have to spend on it. And it costs just as much to restore a cheap commuter bike from the 60s as it does to restore a highly desirable bike.
Plating, paint, parts, etc is the same whether it's a common model or something rare.
I don't know how many times I've had someone bring me a CB750 and ask me to get it running and looking good. When I tell them I'm gonna want a bunch of money to rebuild the carbs I often get the reply that that's more than I bought the bike for.
And that's usually just the start...

Btw, I have recently seen someone commuting from Argo to Trussville on a nice looking GS650G. I always thought one of those or the Yamaha 650 Seca from that era where nice bikes.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Al Goodwin

I've got a '72 Honda CL350 Scrambler that appeared in my garage a couple weeks ago.  I haven't decided just yet as to it's purpose at my home....but if it decides to move along I'll let y'all know.

bblass

I fully expect to put at least 2-3x times into it what I pay for it. I've been down this road a few times so I'm not coming in with the blind ambition of flipping motorcycles on the side. I enjoy the tinkering aspect of it and the excuse to buy new tools.

I'm hoping to find something more in depth than a top end and carb rebuild. Ideally, i'd like to find a 20+ year old evo sportster with a blown motor, a seized air head BMW or BSA. Nothing against Japanese standards, I have one and it's my favorite bike, but I'd like to try something different this time around.

Brian A

Quote from: bblass on September 16, 2016, 02:10:38 PM
I'm hoping to find something more in depth than a top end and carb rebuild.

I'll be happy to get the XS650 running, pour a 1/2 cup of sand in the crankcase and ride it around the neighborhood until it bites the dust.
That should provide for far more than a carb and top end rebuild.

And I won't raise the price one dime!