News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Where to find a project bike?

Started by bblass, September 16, 2016, 08:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

I might have actually found you a buyer on the XS650 as is! At the bar with a couple of non-motorcycle buddies and delusions of two wheeled glory are dancing in their heads
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Brian A

Quote from: bblass on September 16, 2016, 09:42:37 PM
I might have actually found you a buyer on the XS650 as is! At the bar with a couple of non-motorcycle buddies and delusions of two wheeled glory are dancing in their heads

I'll pay you a $50 finder fee if it happens.

bblass

Call it good karma and you've got a deal. Doing my best

bblass

Found one! Picked up this 1960 XLH on Saturday morning.

Compression seems to be good. Electrical is gone. Pretty sure the wire going back to where the brake light should be is from an old extension cord. Came with a whole mess of extra parts and three carburetors. Cleaned out the S&S Super B and it seems like it's in good working order.

Hoping to pick up a tear drop air cleaner to go with it, new tank and seat at vintage fest.

It's already dripping oil all over my shop and I'm excited about the possibilities!

Slede

you'd be hard pressed to find a better platform for a project. wireing is a breeze on those, mainly because you need so few actual wires, about six is the norm, unless you get a magneto, then subtract a couple. are you restoring or just fixing it up?
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

bblass

Pretty sure the wiring is mostly old extension cords spliced in. It's on a magneto & has the simplest electrical I've ever seen; it's brake light, headlight, and ignition system. everything seems real easy to get to. Thinking I'm going to get it running and see from there. Finding parts for it looks like it will be easy but cheap parts is another story entirely.

Slede

it's cheap, easy, and a swapmeet dream.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.