News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Motorcycle Cannonball in Dodge City, Kansas

Started by renchinrider, October 01, 2016, 09:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renchinrider

Hey, All

At last, I got my photos uploaded onto Flickr, and (believe it or not) learned how to paste them into a post!  So, here's a quick summary of my trip:

I left Huntsville on Sep 16th, at O-Dark 30.  I wanted to travel as few interstate miles as possible on my way to Dodge City.  So I took US 72 to Memphis, then hopped onto I-55 until I got onto Arkansas Highway 14.  This road was a lot of fun, with lots of hills and curves from Newport to Springdale. 
DSCN3108 by marc spencer, on Flickr

I got out of the hills just in time for a rainstorm that lasted less than two hours, and overnighted in Perry, OK.  The next morning I was out early again, to be sure I was in Dodge City in time for the first riders' arrival.  The first rider came in about 2 pm--cool guy named Peter Reeves from the UK, riding a 1915 Harley.
DSCN3131 by marc spencer, on Flickr

The next highlight for me was Huntsville resident Erik Bahl's arrival later in the afternoon.  His 1915 Harley, "Lucille", was running like a clock when he came in.
DSCN3156 by marc spencer, on Flickr

Yes, in case you were wondering:  That really is Pat Simmons, Guitarist for the Doobie Brothers, helping Erik get his bike onto its stand!  Pat ran the entire Motorcycle Cannonball in 2014, but this time his H-D gave up its ghost early in the race, and Pat traveled along separately supporting his wife, Chris Sommer-Simmons.

I presented him with a North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club hat in recognition of his accomplishments in the Cannonball.

Erik Bahl in Dodge City by marc spencer, on Flickr

Anyway, by 4:30, the parking lot was filling up fast, with ~67 riders arriving under their own power.
Dodge City Display by marc spencer, on Flickr

The next day was a "rest" day for the riders, but there wasn't much resting going on.  Riders and crews were wrenching on their bikes all over the place.  A great mentor and friend of mine brought a few of his friends down from Junction City, and, along with a great guy I met staying at the same motel as I was, we rode all over town to observe the bikes up close.
DSCN3363 by marc spencer, on Flickr

DSCN3302 by marc spencer, on Flickr

DSCN3329 by marc spencer, on Flickr

The amount of teamwork and ingenuity shared among the riders to enable these 100+ year-old machines to cross the country was beyond amazing!  I could have listened to their stories for days.  They talked about borrowed cylinders, valves and pistons, adaptations of modern parts to get them to fit into old engines, and I saw one team get new exhaust pipe flanges welded onto a set of old Harley pipes by a gifted fabricator at Dodge City H-D.  It was "Renchin Heaven" for yours truly!

The next morning, the riders were off again, destined for Colorado enroute to Carlsbad, CA.  Most of you will recognized RTW Doug, who is pictured departing Dodge City on his 1916 Indian.

Doug Leaves Dodge City by marc spencer, on Flickr

For anyone like me, who left my old '74 Super Glide at home for fear it would break down, here's shame on us:  This last photo is one I took of Victor Boocock.  Victor is 76 years-old, and bought this 1914 H-D in 1972.  He has ridden it across the country FOUR times (finishing 5th in this Cannonball!), and says it's his only motorcycle.  I'm humbled, and determined to demonstrate a little more courage when the opportunity to ride my Super Glide comes around!

DSCN3244 by marc spencer, on Flickr

It seemed like only a flash of time and my chance to co-mingle with the Motorcycle Cannonball was come and gone...

But, in a stroke of luck, I learned of a family get-together in Texas the next day, so I hopped on my Road King and headed to Dallas, and then finally back to Huntsville a few days later.

For anyone able to follow the Motorcycle Cannonball or to visit the riders at one of their stops, each race is unforgettable.  I'll post whatever I learn as soon as the next Cannonball's details are announced.
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

klaviator

Sounds like an awesome trip.  Someday when I'm retired I'll try to make it to stuff like this. 

I'm glad you figured out the picture posting and were able to post this

Chitza

I an so digging that picture of RTW Doug. Nice shot!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

James L

Talk about an Iron Butt challenge.....Wow......I have more respect for these guys than I could ever express.

James L.

lazeebum

Guidedawg

Great report and pics and a definite tip o' the hat to those who keep the vintage machines going and in use!