News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Mt. Cheaha lonely as a 1 Up!

Started by James L, October 20, 2016, 08:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James L

I'm busy this weekend or I would have joined up with a group to attend a ride, so I decided to make a ride to Mt. Cheaha today. The wife is in California visiting our daughter, and will be returning on Saturday. (The reason I'm busy)

It was lonely, but a nice ride. My Butt hurt after I was done though. An aftermarket seat is definitely on the list for the BMW.

I started out, hitting the interstates until I got around to 280. I was going to do a south to north route. I had my Garmin 660LM all routed up, but it just doesn't like me. (More like I have no idea how to make a GPX route). I chose to forgo the route programmed in, because it wasn't working. I just winged the route as I went with the GPS map showing.

I stopped in Sylacauga and got a beverage at the local Kangaroo. I took a picture of my trusted steed, I really love this bike.

After a few letting the posterior rest, I continued out on 148, then to 9. I stayed on 9, until I had to turn on 49. I actually missed the turn, but make a quick adjustment to my direction to find my self turning on 49. I then went left on 281 toward Mt. Cheaha, stopping at the first overlook.

I decided to move on to the Park. I did go through the park, but didn't stop to take any pictures. After coming out I continued in the same direction on 281. I turned north (right) on to Cheaha Rd. and rode down to the lake and stopped again to let the posterior rest.

I decided to head towards Heflin, and backtrack. I went past the park to stop once again at the first overlook. Here I took a picture, but some reason my phone didn't like it. I also took a picture of this fine ride. I didn't get close as there was an occupant and I didn't want to disturb him/her.

I hit 20 west to head home, and really didn't encounter much traffic considering is was about 5:45 pm.

All in all it was a nice ride. I just wanted to get familiar with the area before a group ride. I'll have to take the wife up before the leaves fall.

James L

VWCarlos

I love that area up there. The ride up 49 is always fun. nice ride report and pics. I need to get up there before the leaves fall.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Nice Goat

Nice job on the report and photos.  That's a great area for riding.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Guidedawg

Sounds like some good time away.  As far as GPS, I'm still taping index cards with directions to my fuel tank.  ;D

klaviator

Nice area.  I need to get back there someday.