News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Another off day ride

Started by VWCarlos, October 26, 2016, 12:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VWCarlos

I had another day off and wanted to get out of town. I left the driveway with no plans at all. Sometimes I like to just ride with the flow and see where I end up. At the first red light I pulled up to with traffic there was a Miata with the top down. His radio was loud enough for me to hear it and he was playing Seven Bridges Road by the Eagles. As many of you know that was written about Woodley road that heads south out of Montgomery. I had not been south out of Montgomery on the bike in a while so I figured that would be the start of my ride. I headed towards the very start of  Woodley Rd and stopped for gas.  After a bit of cross town traffic and some rough worn roads I was finally riding through pasture land. Not to far out of town Woodley turns to Mt Zion and the scenery pretty much remains the same. Lots of open pastures with spots of lowland woods, old churches and the occasional road kill. The turns are slow sweeping turns and it's really a relaxing ride. Took my first stop at this old abandoned store.

I decided to keep on south to Meriwether Trail and start moving eastward towards Highland Home. I had a picture I have been wanting to get for a while. The ride across the bottom of the county runs through a few small communities like Grady, Ramer and Lapine. I always like riding through these small towns. I rode into Highland Home right around noon. I stopped by the "It don't matter" family resturaunt for lunch. This is a good place if you're ever in the neighborhood. After eating I got my photo.

This is the jet display I wanted to get for my first attempt at the theme tag. This is the mascot of the Highland Home Flying Squadron. It's a pretty cool story behind the mascot and their quest to get a jet display. I couldn't make it to Highland Home when I needed to last year. It was way to cold that day and the fact I had to work that entire weekend meant I couldn't get to it. I settled for the displays at the air national guard instead. It's not to far from work so I was able to do it on my lunch break.

Anyways... I decided I would ride some back roads to get back home. Riding up 331 wouldn't be near as entertaining than getting lost on back roads. Although I didn't get lost since I grew up in this part of the county I did find this cool old cotton gin with a sweet old caddy parked in front.

I got back to town in time to pick my daughter up from school on the bike. We took a short ride downtown to get an after school snack at our favorite hotdog joint. Just another day with no plans and no direction.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Nice Goat

Nice job.  Several times, I have thought that the blue jet at Highland Home would make a great photo tag.  Thanks for sharing the photos and the story!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Guidedawg

I took a pic with that jet in June when I went through.

Interestingly enough, my WS chapter is leading a ride down many of those same roads to go to Grady this Saturday and eating at Red's Little School House.  I won't be with them, but it should be a good ride.

VWCarlos

Quote from: Guidedawg on October 26, 2016, 08:39:26 AM
I took a pic with that jet in June when I went through.

Interestingly enough, my WS chapter is leading a ride down many of those same roads to go to Grady this Saturday and eating at Red's Little School House.  I won't be with them, but it should be a good ride.

I don't miss a chance to eat at Red's. I don't think I could ride the bike there to eat though. The bike tires would not be able to handle the load on the way home. I always leave that place so full I am miserable.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

polarissalesman

"keep the rubber side down"