News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Lynchburg BBQ ride

Started by klaviator, November 06, 2016, 07:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Yesterday morning was beautiful, sunny and a bit chilly as I got on the road at around 7:30.  I was headed for the Blue Plate Cafe in Huntsville.  I had never been there before but there were two different groups meeting there this morning.  I wasn't sure exactly where it was but the large group of bikes in the parking lot made it easy to find.

There were a lot of cool bikes there.

But the star of the show was this 1915 Harley that recently competed in the Cannonball Run.

As one would expect form a 1915 motorcycle this bike did not have an electric start.  It also had no kick starter.  Instead it had bicycle pedals.  The owner jumped on it while it was in it's rear stand and pedaled it to a start.  Then he took it off the stand and rode away.

I would have liked to  have heard his presentation but the group I was riding with was eating in a different room so I ate with them.  The group was the "Friends Who Ride" group on Facebook.  I hadn't ridden with them since sometime in the spring.  Part of that was because I have been doing other things and part of it because many of the group members where off on out of town rides of their own.  It was nice seeing everyone again. 

We had a pretty good turnout.  I didn't count the bikes but i think between 10 and 15.  At 9 AM we lined up in front of Rosie's.

It's not that far to Lynchburg and we just ate a big breakfast.  I wasn't sure I'd be hungry enough to eat when we got there.  I shouldn't have worried.  As expected the ride leader did not take the most direct route. 

We headed over Cecil Ashburn Dr then some back roads to 72 which we got on briefly before going up Keel Mountain.

Then a brief run on 72 again to pick up 65 through Paint Rock Valley.

I'm not sure where the next few pics were taken.  Maybe on 65 or maybe Fish Hatchery Rd which I had never ridden before or one of the other roads I don't remember.

Lunch was at the Barrel House BBQ.  The weather was about perfect, mid 70s and sunny so we ate outside.

klaviator

After lunch We spent a little time in Lynchburg.

Then we headed back on some more nice roads.

I have tried over the shoulder shots in the past and they seldom came out.  I tried some on this ride and most of them came out pretty good.

This was 65 heading south.

Then Stuart took us on a rough little County road.

It eventually took us back onto 65.  We made I final stop at a gas station on 65 that many of you are familiar with.

Then it was back home.  My mileage for the day was around 220 miles. 

Nice Goat

It was a great day for riding.  Wish that I could have made it, but my daughter's basketball games have started up again.  Most of my Saturdays are taken until January now!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Chuck A.

Thanks for the write up Win. I enjoy reading all write ups. Just don't ever take pictures to do one myself. Looked like a perfect day for riding. Sinuses kept me off the bike.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

Chuck A.

Quote from: Nice Goat on November 06, 2016, 09:31:08 AM
............my daughter's basketball games have started up again.  Most of my Saturdays are taken until January now!

I felt your pain,,,,,,,,,, for 12 years. It was great be part of the memories.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

klaviator

One of the nice things about riding with this group is that there always a lot of people taking pics and posting them afterwards.  Here's a few of those pics taken by others on the ride.

VWCarlos

Those are some really nice pictures in your post. Looks like the leaves changing are in their peek up there. Thanks for sharing!
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

jrobinson

Nice report. Thanks for sharing the pics.

The road off Hwy 65 is County Rd 27. I've shot a couple videos on that road.

renchinrider

Hey, All,

Indeed, the 1915 Harley at the top of Klaviator's post is the bike that Erik Bahl rode cross-country in the Motorcycle Cannonball.  When he left the parking lot, he came around to the back of the Blue Plate, and the manager let us bring the bike into the banquet room.  Lots of us took pictures sitting on the bike after Erik's presentation.

We really had a great time hearing Erik's stories (he's ridden the Cannonball in both 2014 and 2016).

If any of you are interested, take a look at NAVMC's Facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthAlabamaVintageMotorcycleClub/

There are some cool pics from today's Vintage Bike Show in Chattanooga, along with some other vintage bike buzz.  Enjoy!

And, if you have the chance, come join us for breakfast on any Saturday at 8, at the Blue Plate Café on South Memorial Parkway (just south of the Martin Road construction project, on the southbound side of the Parkway).

(PS:  Looks like y'all had an awesome day with the Friends Who Ride, Klaviator!)
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!