News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

A southeast Alabama geocache run

Started by Guidedawg, November 14, 2016, 01:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

I had skipped several recent riding activities, so as the 3 day weekend approached I made plans to get out for a bit.

There are some trips I'm still formulating, but they would all be overnight so that was out.  I considered riding north to see if I could catch leaf color, but wanted to go someplace new.

Then I remembered that there are some counties I needed to visit for Geocaching.  I've been caching for several years but at a very casual pace compared to most.  One of the first things more well-rounded cachers do is make a find in each county of their state.  However, in 8 years this is as far as I've gotten.

(For some reason my Perry Co. finds were credited to Lamar so that part is incorrect)

So I decided to head to the Southeast and visit Barbour, Henry and Geneva Counties to knock those off the list.

My only Interstate travel was a brief jaunt on I-85 just to avoid a lot of red lights and to take the newest exit east of Montgomery for the fun of it.

Since this trip was going to take several hours, I got an early start and was on the road by 6:30.  I thought that a few layers would be sufficient so I donned my "winter" riding gear of long johns, thick socks, jeans, and chaps for the bottom and a T-shirt beneath a long sleeve work shirt protected by my leather jacket on top.  I kept the half helmet and added a head/ear wrap along with the thicker gloves.

First of all, those gloves have never kept my fingers anywhere near warm in the past so I'm not sure why I thought they would magically do it today other than thinking it would not be that cold.

I was cursing that decision as I rode Hwy 82 and my fingers growing ever more uncomfortable. I wouldn't have complained about an additional shirt at that point either.

Although traffic was almost non-existent I was grateful for the van I found myself behind in Bullock Co.  The sun was rising to the point of making it difficult for me to see the road so it was easier to keep watch on the van.

I made a stop in Union Springs just to get off the bike and, of course, to get a photo of the field dog statue.

Union Springs Street

Guidedawg

I returned to the bike and, after casting an envious glance at a warm McDonald's, continued on to Eufaula.  I couldn't afford to stop at every whim since caching takes longer (for me) on a motorcycle.  From this point on, it was all new roads to me and it wasn't long before I arrived in Eufaula, home of several nice antebellum homes.

I had preselected a few caches in each of the counties and loaded them into a handheld GPS.  My primary selection was at the Hart House since it is home to a visitor's bureau.  However, when I parked next door and walked over I saw that the house has been sold and is no longer used for that purpose.  I'm not exactly why it was necessary to point out that it was not haunted, but perhaps that was a condition of the sale.

Fortunately, there was another cache nearby so I was able to log that one and cross Barbour County off the list.

Of course, Eufaula is also home to a sizeable lake and I took a trip across to the Georgia side just because. (And maybe pick up a lottery ticket since I was there)

I made my way down 431 into the town of Abbeville and stopped off to pick up a cache at this nicely restored station.

At first I thought perhaps it was a restaurant, but I've since learned that it is the renovated headquarters for Great Southern Wood.  Yella Fella Jimmy Rane has restored it and other Abbeville buildings including Huggin' Molly's where my church group rode earlier this year.  I missed that trip so at least I got to drive past.

With the two adjacent counties out of the way, it was time to jump over Dothan and move into Geneva County.

Guidedawg

My route took me near Fort Rucker and one day I'm going to return to visit the Army Aviation Museum.  Since it was Veteran's Day, I stopped for a photo.

The county roads I traveled were increasingly rural with lots of poultry farms and cotton fields.

I did make one detour when in the town of Newton.  Many of us grew up reading Kathryn Tucker Windham and Margaret Gillis Figh's 13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey.  Since the road took me over the Choctawhatchee River, I went down to the rec area near the spot where Bill Sketoe was hanged in the story of the hole that will not stay filled.

The hole itself was indeed filled by the Highway Department after a flooding in the area when they reinforced the bridge area, but the sign remains.

Fortunately, I saw nothing scarier than a wind blown biker

Guidedawg

My journey continued into the metropolis of Coffee Springs where I stopped to find the cache at this very small former jail.

It's not the sort of road you come to on accident so when an older gentleman was out walking his dogs I let him know why I was there.  He told me some others had been by not too long ago and was even able to tell me what sort of container to look for.

According to him, the jail once had a small desk and chair for the guard and the prisoner was held until either released or picked up to be transported elsewhere.

This stop filled the requirements for the day so I thanked him and moved along.

One of the things I enjoy most about geocaching are those caches that take you to spots of local history.  I was making a loop of the ride, so I went into Coffee County and stopped at a cache that is owned by a friend in Montgomery but who has family down in this area.

The cache description on the website goes on to explain the Creek uprising in the area and the small forts used for protection.  In this case, a family was murdered while out milking their cows.  It's morbid, but an interesting part of Alabama history and I found the cache in the tree line just outside of the cemetery.

From there I continued on backroads to another cemetery, this time outside of Kinston, AL.

Guidedawg

One of our outstanding Administrators, JRobinson, was kind enough to post an October Challenge to travel to sites from the book of ghost stories I mentioned earlier.  Unfortunately, I did not participate but wanted to show my appreciation since I was in the area.

I detoured to visit the grave of William "Grancer" Harrison, the dancing ghost.

You could see the foundation where a pavilion cover had once been over the grave.  It was destroyed (literally blown up) by vandals many years ago and I wondered how it had appeared in pristine condition with the nearby dance area.

There had once been a cache in this area also, but recent logs indicated it was likely long gone so I did not spend a lot of time searching.  I just wanted to see the spot.

This was my last bonus stop of the day and by this time I had changed into my more comfortable gloves but was still fine in the rest of my gear.

Guidedawg

I was experiencing some fairly serious mechanical issues by this time and thought it best to go home so I went up 331 all the way and tossed aside original plans to go on some country roads through south Montgomery County.  Those are all close enough for local afternoon rides anyway.

My reluctance to stop on the return leg robs you of photos from Brantley, Luverne, and Highland Home which all have picturesque small town main streets.  It was a nice ride.

But I did return in plenty of time to see my youngest daughter in her role as a "Teen Team" member of our local mall.  Santa was set to arrive that night to kick off the season on an event showcasing local talent on the indoor ice skating rink.  It was a cute show and my daughter had been drafted into an elf role to pass out candy canes and visit with the kids as they waited in line for Santa.

Does this have anything to do with my ride report other than saying I wanted to return in plenty of time to make the event? Nah, but how many times does a dad get to share this sort of photo?

The trip was nothing particularly scenic, but it was a good solo ride with a purpose and enjoyable time on the road.

I just realized the map automatically routed the return to 31N and I-65 as I approached Montgomery, but I did stay on 331 until I was in the city.

Thanks for reading!

klaviator

Another good ride report!  Glad you were able to get back in time to see your daughter.

lazeebum

Nice ride report and pictures. Congrats on getting home in time to be there for your daughter.

Nice Goat

Nice report.  I've been to several of those spots, including the gas station and Grancer's grave.  There's a lot to see in the southern part of the state.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

VWCarlos

Great ride report! Glad you were able to get out of town for a bit. I have always enjoyed riding through the southern part of the state.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

KrisCook

Excellent report!  Thanks for taking us with you.   :)
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom