News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

DAKAR

Started by Al Goodwin, January 07, 2017, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

OK....far fetched idea here. 

I'd like to gather information on all the cost, transportation, logistics, shipping, etc...of racing the Dakar.

I watched the movie "Dream Racer", a documentary about a privateer racing the Dakar..and FINISHING.  It inspired me to start doing some research.

Another thing that got me thinking...there's only one American in this years race....  What are the chances of a "go-fund-me" account being able to raise enough money if I started a year in advance?

I know...I KNOW.....I'd need to start riding almost every day ???, start doing triathalons TOMORROW :-\...and get over my HATE for riding in deep sand. :o

COULD a 53 year old, with the right mindset, competitive nature, and desire to do it...actually do it?

The company I work for is sponsoring a 4-man team rowing across the Atlantic, in a race, right now....Reckon I could put together all the information, and present it to them for, possibly, a sponsorship?  Maybe have them co-sponsor with one of our customers, whos in the automotive/motorcycle business??

I really need to find a more suitable hobby than thinking of things like this... 8)

jrobinson

you can take up rowing.  8)

Seriously, it's about as far fetched as riding 2-up to the Arctic Circle or running a 24 hours hair scramble.

Al Goodwin

Quote from: jrobinson on January 07, 2017, 03:00:45 PM

Seriously, it's about as far fetched as riding 2-up to the Arctic Circle or running a 24 hours hair scramble.

Now that's all I needed.....words of encouragement. :P

Slede

Quote from: Al Goodwin on January 07, 2017, 03:33:47 PM
Quote from: jrobinson on January 07, 2017, 03:00:45 PM

Now that's all I needed.....words of encouragement. :P

if anybody else would have asked I might have laughed, but my actual first thought was, " would flying, driving, or sailing down be the most practical.

and from what I've gathered about those races, if you don't start planning a year out you probably wont make it so yea, now's a good time
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

Chitza

I'll pass on the words RTWDoug gave me when I asked him about running the cannonball:
"Take a stack of hundred dollar bills and light one on fire. Watch it burn. Do this until it doesn't bother you anymore. Then you'll be ready."

Actually, Allen, I agree with Josh. If anybody can, you can. I'll contribute to the go fund me!!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

klaviator

Crazy idea but it would be awesome to see you do it!

If you really want to be a superstar, do it on your KLR 8)

Al Goodwin

Quote from: klaviator on January 07, 2017, 11:02:41 PM

If you really want to be a superstar, do it on your KLR 8)

OH MY... I do believe it's been tried before, on a KLR...unsuccessfully.

Al Goodwin

jrobinson

We aren't getting any younger. We will all run out of tomorrows one day.

Do it, do it now.  :)

Al Goodwin

Quote from: jrobinson on January 08, 2017, 01:23:02 PM

Melony wouldn't be happy with you right now....more encouragement and all...LMAO 8)

jrobinson

Quote from: Al Goodwin on January 08, 2017, 03:06:51 PM
Quote from: jrobinson on January 08, 2017, 01:23:02 PM

Melony wouldn't be happy with you right now....more encouragement and all...LMAO 8)

I thought she liked to travel.

SlimmyJimmy

If you have $100,000+ and 2-3 years of prep time I think anyone could run the dakar.  You need 2 good vehicles, tons of spare parts, a great fabricator for your bike, blah blah etc, probably more than $100,000.  Finishing would be a different story, but just to attempt would be amazing.  Probably be a good idea to run in the Mint 400 or a shorter race, see how your body feels in a year and then go for it.  I look up to any individual who tries any such thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fencejumper09

I always thought it would be awesome to run the Dakar!

I will be in the pits for you Allen! Better start practicing your map reading/routing as well. It seems several stage winners this year won because of their navigation abilities.
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332