News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Gymkhana 2017?

Started by springer, January 12, 2017, 04:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

What once was a big thing for Bamarides seems to have fallen by the wayside.   :'(

Is anyone interested in putting one on? If so, now is the time to start talking, planning, and organizing.
A few questions that I have;
Who has the cones, banners, and ect...?
Anyone have some ideas where we could put one on at?
And the most important question of all, who is interested in doing whatever to help plan and put it on?
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Chitza

ChuckA has the cones and banner. (Sorry about that Chuck. We need to get together and fix that).
I am willing to help plan but I am NO good at securing a locale. If someone will find a place, I can manage the rest.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

kylepeterson

I have about ten cones, and would love to help out with the next kana. I don't have any contacts or locations in mind. You're welcome to use the gp8 fb page (that has also been neglected by me) to promote brgk however you like.

:-)

springer

Thumbs-up
Quote from: kylepeterson on January 12, 2017, 12:18:01 PM
I have about ten cones, and would love to help out with the next kana. I don't have any contacts or locations in mind. You're welcome to use the gp8 fb page (that has also been neglected by me) to promote brgk however you like.

:-)
Good enough Kyle! 

Quote from: Chitza on January 12, 2017, 07:21:40 AM
ChuckA has the cones and banner. (Sorry about that Chuck. We need to get together and fix that).
I am willing to help plan but I am NO good at securing a locale. If someone will find a place, I can manage the rest.
Thanks Chitza!

If y'all or anyone reading this, knows or spots a possible location be sure to post it up!

A normal Gymkhana, like the type we use to put on, requared a pretty good spot of decent pavement.  The minimum for a decent kone killing event would be around 7,000 to 9,000 square feet. About the size of a normal Mountain Brook home. :)
If you do not feel comfortable asking just let me know here with any contact information you could provide and I will see about it.

I will also swing by the location we used at the old Century Plaza mall. The pavement there was getting abit worn.

Also if any members are Shriners it would be really cool if we could use a Temples parking lot. I know the Shriners have an official motorcycling group so they could be friendly to the idea.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

maydaymike

No idea on a location, but I'd be happy to help out.
2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185

Fencejumper09

Didn't someone put together a video to show to owners of parking lots to help explain to them what Gymkhana is?

There are several locations near my house in West Homewood that are out of business so I just need to figure our who owns them.
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on January 17, 2017, 10:11:36 AM
Didn't someone put together a video to show to owners of parking lots to help explain to them what Gymkhana is?

There are several locations near my house in West Homewood that are out of business so I just need to figure our who owns them.
I think Don made one or two videos. I will text him and see.

Fencejumper09

I have asked a buddy in commercial real estate if he knows of any locations.
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

jrobinson

I have a couple videos I took of Gymkhana.

Chuck A.

Sorry to respond slowly to this. Working too darn much for the last year. I do have the cones and timer. Out of state work killed my time for setting up the same place in the last half of 2016. Now it will be hard pressed to get it until summer. Allsport would be a good place to do this with their always being supportive us but the room is too limited. I am thinking about checking with the new Polarize dealer in Decatur (across from the Chrysler Dealer on hwy 31) about using their back lot. Easily seen from the Hwy, large enough, rest rooms, shade. I have seen a riding course being done there last summer. Would that be to far North for the B-ham folks? Being at this type location may draw more none Bamarides riders. Months best for this, April- cooler, May-rain, June-getting hotter. Thoughts??

With that being said, I do fill really bad cause I do enjoy making the events and rides put together by Bamarides members. Missed the ride this passed weekend due to a starter relay. Was pissed! Anyway,I did try last year to get a place multiple times but was told to look at the calendar in my bosses office. Always seven days a week work and then out of town for 2 weeks at a time. I didn't get to ride much but I also didn't see how the postings here were getting less and less. We've got to liven this place back up people.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

Chuck A.

This is a little early to be having the Gym-k date in stone but the new Polaris dealership has the perfect lot and pavement for this. Large canopy on the north side. Work great for shade and registration. Restrooms. I got their number today off the building and plan on stopping by there Friday and speaking with them,,,,,,,, unless you'll think it is not central enough for the B-ham crowd. Once again,,,, thoughts/comments?

Any dates known as of now that has been spoken for planned events? :o
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

springer

Quote from: Chuck A. on January 18, 2017, 08:11:12 PM
This is a little early to be having the Gym-k date in stone but the new Polaris dealership has the perfect lot and pavement for this. Large canopy on the north side. Work great for shade and registration. Restrooms. I got their number today off the building and plan on stopping by there Friday and speaking with them,,,,,,,, unless you'll think it is not central enough for the B-ham crowd. Once again,,,, thoughts/comments?

Any dates known as of now that has been spoken for planned events? :o
The Vintage Fest is the only event date I know of in stone Chuck. I would also cross off the Spring/summer race dates at Barber.  As far as to far I am not sure, mostly because I am not sure where it is.
Talk to them when you get a chance and see if they are interested.

Chuck A.

I did call today. The Polarize dealership is across the road form the Chrysler dealer in South Decatur/Flint area. I did find out a riding school uses the lot also. The guy I needed to speak with was off work today. Lady did take my number. Said she would have the guy call me.

Address across the road is 3831 US-31, Decatur, AL 35603. Its 15 mile straight up Hwy 31 from the last location in Falkville.

If I can every go by there in the daylight I will get a picture.

I install computer wiring for a living but am dumb as rocks on working a computer. If you go to google maps and put in the address over the lot is across the road. Sayes Bryant brothers Auto. Ariel view shows the lot.

Chuck A.

Alrighty then. Latest and greatest update. FINALY got to talk with the general manager of the Polarize dealership in Athens about the lot across the road from the Chrysler dealer in South Decatur/Flint area. The store itself is not open yet. Just full of all of the vehicles they offer. Any way, he said no but only because it would be a 'conflict of interest'. I understand it clearly but,,,,,,,,could bring business. The deal is he said 'they' operate a riding school using the lot. They charge newbys to train them and bamarides being free help could hender training sales. I assured him this could be a once a year thing at that location. I told him 'thank you for your time, that we are riders donating our time to help riders ride more safely and operated the free to all riders Gymkhana as a nonprofit group'. His reply was 'well alright then'. click

I sure wish Allsport had a bigger lot.

Nice Goat

K-Mart in Cullman closed down recently.  Huge lot.  Not sure who is managing it now.

https://goo.gl/maps/vPVsEQWasDy
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."