News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Yamaha Smax test ride

Started by klaviator, January 20, 2017, 10:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I stopped by Allsport today to pick up a spark plug and talk to the service manager.  While I was here I spent some time checking out a couple of scooters since I expect to replace my Super 8 in the next year or so.  The scooter I would really like to get next is the Yamaha Smax but I'm concerned about being able to fit on it.  When I found out the Smax they have in the showroom was all prepped and ready to ride, I asked Steve if I could take it for a spin.  He said sure so I did.

A little background on the Smax.  It's a 155cc fuel injected scooter.  It get good reviews on the forums with an actual top speed of around 73 MPH and around 80 MPG.  That's a lot better than my Super 8 which tops out around 60 and get around 70MPG.  The Smax has more storage under the seat than the Super 8, a bigger gas tank, and it's also heavier. 

I took it for a short ride.  It felt good.  The 13" wheels makes it feel very nimble but still stable.  The dual disc brakes felt powerful enough and unlike Honda's scooters, Yamaha thankfully did not link the brakes.  I had no complaints about the ride.  The seating position was a bit cramped but not too bad.  It would be great for someone under 6 feet tall.  If I got one I'd look into modifying the seat or adding a seat pad to move me up and back a bit.

I didn't run it up to top speed since it only had 10 miles on the Odometer.  At 155cc it's no Vmax but it ran well for a such a small engine.  I could see going on a long tour on this scooter.  If the seating position of this scooter was a little more suited for tall people it would be a no brainer for me get this scooter.  It's still at the top of my list.

Chuck A.

Yep yep, looks alittle tight under ya Win.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

Nice Goat

The bars look a little low also.  If you modified the seat for more room, you might need to raise the bars also.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

Quote from: Nice Goat on January 21, 2017, 01:29:13 PM
The bars look a little low also.  If you modified the seat for more room, you might need to raise the bars also.

The bars are too low but it may be very difficult to raise them.  There is not much play in the cables and there isn't much clearance between the windscreen and bars at full lock.  I have to move my knees in on a tight turn.  Raising the seat won't actually raise my knees any but will allow me to move back slightly.  It's not ideal but the Smax is IMO the best small scooter available in the U.S.  I either have to live with the tight fit or buy another, less capable scooter.  The Genuine Hooligan which is 170cc is probably my next choice.  Allsport has one of those in stock as well.  I fit on it much better but I think the Yamaha is a little higher quality and it has a higher top speed.  The Hooligan is fuel injected, 2 valve and Air cooled and his a little less power than the liquid cooled 4 valve Yamaha.  It also has front and rear disc brakes. 

merc16

The Yamaha is a very nice looking scooter ! Would you take it on the interstate ?
Justin

klaviator

Quote from: merc16 on January 29, 2017, 10:32:47 AM
The Yamaha is a very nice looking scooter ! Would you take it on the interstate ?

It could handle interstate speeds for short distances.  So yes I would but probably not in heavy traffic.  I have taken my super 8 on I-565 for short distances.  I pinned the throttle and stayed in the right lane.  The Smax could actually keep up with traffic.

Dirtrider22

Just bought a smax at longshore last Friday for my wife, I have to admit that I'm very shocked by its performance. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it anywhere.