News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Suggestions for the inseam challenged

Started by Nokose, January 30, 2017, 09:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nokose

I am 6"1" with a 29" inseam (thanks genetics), 59 yo. Currently riding  a Victory CCT but I am thinking I would like a dual sport to butt around in the county on.  No serious motor cross mainly dirt roads and an occasional trip to Minooka Park since its nearby.  Years ago I tried a KLR and it felt too tall to be comfortable. I've got an 800' steep dirt drive and the Vicky is "interesting" in the mud, but shes my fav for a highway trip.  Like I said looking for something to get me to the dirt road and ride around on it.

Suggestions?

klaviator

Are you looking new or used.  There aren't that many choices for new dual sport bikes.  With your 29" inseam a lot of the dual sport bikes will be somewhat tall for you.  If you aren't looking to go real fast then the Yamaha XT250 might be the best choice for a new bike.  The Honda CRF250L might also work.  The DRZ400 and WR250 are good bikes but you would probably need to lower them. 

If you go used there are many more choices, some will have already been lowered.

Nokose

Quote from: klaviator on January 30, 2017, 11:09:34 AM
Are you looking new or used.  There aren't that many choices for new dual sport bikes.  With your 29" inseam a lot of the dual sport bikes will be somewhat tall for you.  If you aren't looking to go real fast then the Yamaha XT250 might be the best choice for a new bike.  The Honda CRF250L might also work.  The DRZ400 and WR250 are good bikes but you would probably need to lower them. 

If you go used there are many more choices, some will have already been lowered.

I got no problem with used and speed ain't an issue as long as I can keep up with regular county road traffic.  I ain't looking to take it out on the big road just something reliable to get to the dirt roads and then putter around on them

klaviator

A 250 will easily keep up with traffic on county roads and can even run highways speeds for short distances.  The real issue for something like an XT250 is lack of suspension which will limit speeds on rough terrain.  The dual sport bikes with better suspensions tend to also have taller seats.  If you just want to go exploring I'd consider an XT250.  If you can find a used DR250 or DR350 they are pretty easy to lower.  KLR250s had low seats but really wimpy suspensions. 

KevinB

I had a DRZ250 at one time...and little more stylish than the DR, light weight, and no problems with my 30" inseam. A little undersprung for me at @ 215 lbs., but I was also trying to huck it down single track.

Also check out the CRF230L and KLX250.

bblass

My father is about your size and just got an XT250. He says it's his favorite bike for the type of riding he's into now. Relatively comfortable, lightweight and almost as reliable as the sun coming up.

You could also look into a more standard dirt bike and installing a kouba (lowering) link. You can find them on ebay for cheap and only take about two beers to install.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

kdtrull

The XT250 is the most fun bike I've ever had.  I've had 3 of them since 2008 with roughly 30K miles across all 3.  I agree with everything previously posted about the XT.

I'm 5'10", short legged, and 260 (sad) pounds.  The suspension is very low performance but, remarkably, it's never bottomed out.  The suspension is nothing more than a few (somewhat) dampened springs.  The engine is simple as a stone axe and just as reliable.

I've had 3 KLR 650s also and still ride one.  It is a handful for me in the rough.

My DR650 was a good compromise.  I miss it.

Also had a Tiger 955 with a nice low seat but it was so heavy I could not ride it all day off road.

I would like to try a WR and a KLX250 some time.

I've ridden the XT on many long trips and only get aggravated with it when I need to pass a car or when trying to keep up with my buddies on long uphill roads.
In the worst cases with my weight, it will slow to 50 mph on long hills.