News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Midway Cycles

Started by klaviator, September 18, 2015, 01:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I needed a new rear tire for my Yamaha Majesty so I went where I normally go for tires, Midway Cycles in Madison, AL.  They are a KTM dealer but most of their business has always been parts and service for all makes of motorcycles and scooters.  They got me a Michelin City Grip 150/70-13 rear tire for $60.  Add in tax and mounting and balancing and it was still under $110.  I went in with no appointment and they got me right in with no delay. 

This spring I needed a new rear tire for my Versys.  I got a Bridgestone T30 which had an MSRP of $230 from them for a total including mount and balance of around $170

I have bought a number of tires from them in the past and they always gave me a great price and mounted them while I waited with no Appointment.  I'll be buying more tires from them in the future :)

Nice Goat

I still need to go visit them.  Never been to their store.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KevinB

Bought a new KTM from Midway this morning. Bill (the owner) is a super nice guy, and made it easy. One phone call yesterday got the paperwork started, and he had it ready when I got there this morning.

One nitpick...

Although I always double check a bike when I purchase it as far as fasteners, etc., I rode this one home straight from the dealer. I noticed the handling was a little wonky compared to the same model bike I demo'ed at another dealer last week. Got home and checked the tire pressure...17.5 in front, 15 in the rear. The PDI guy must be a dirt-only rider.  ;)

KevinB

Update...

I'm beyond pissed at the assembly guy.

Got home, put the bike on the stand to do a once over, and noticed metal dust on the swingarm and rear wheel. Then I found the culprit...

Looks like a spacer was left out during rear wheel installation. The cush drive and sprocket bolts have been ground down by the swingarm.

Slede

are they coming to get it?
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

KevinB

Closed already for the day...it'll be Tuesday before I can get anything done.

First vehicle I've bought that had absolutely zero miles on it...that'll teach me.

Slede

I'd be inclined to receive another brand new bike in its place. no telling what other damage a travelling wheel caused, or what else was forgotten.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

KevinB

They have a '14 model on the floor also. My level of satisfaction will be to remove the affected parts from that one and install on mine.

I'm not sure if these come in the crate with the wheels installed, or if that's done at the dealer.

lk2rd

That would suck.  Hopefully, the dealer will bend over backwards to do whatever it takes to make you happy.  I would want a replacement bike instead of waiting on parts and repairs.  However, most dealers probably wouldn't do that.  On the bright side, that's a very cool bike.

KevinB

Sent a text with pics to Bill (the owner). He just advised he's coming down on his off day Monday to pick it up. I feel confident it'll be handled right.

He also said that the wheels are shipped installed from KTM, so it's a factory f'up.

KevinB

Bill picked the bike up on Monday. Sent a message yesterday advising the issue was a circlip inside the sprocket carrier that wasn't seated and allowed the carrier to ride against the swingarm.

Parts are ordered (swingarm, sprocket, carrier, bolts), and now we wait.

klaviator

So was this the fault of the guy who did the final assembly here or the factory?

KevinB

Bill said the rear wheel is installed at the factory, so ultimately it's KTM's fault. But considering there was no test ride after uncrating and the low tire pressure, I put some of the responsibility of allowing it to be delivered in such condition on the dealer.

klaviator

I don't understand the lack of test ride.  They normally do a short ride after they install a tire on my bikes.

norton73

I worked at dealers many years ago and we always put at least 5 miles on a bike after assembly. I'd be surprised if a test ride isn't listed by KTM as part of the pre delivery inspection.

I'd be really pissed.

Loose nut holding the handlebars