News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Any Ghost towns in Autauga or Elmore Counties?

Started by Freebooter, September 19, 2015, 10:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freebooter

Hello all,
Any Ghost towns in Elmore or Autauga Counties?
FB

jrobinson

I'll get my book tomorrow afternoon and post up the ghost towns for you.

Freebooter

Thanks RRobinson. When I was in like 10th grade some of us went to the site of Old Allenville, site of a "mill village" but due to wet unhealthy conditions it was abandoned and the Cotton and Gin Mill built a new Mill Village closer to town. All that was left was rows of piles of bricks where the chimneys were, and in the tiny village square a concrete pad with a four inch pipe poking up with a 90% bend that constantly spewed artesion water. I wish I could remember how to get there now and take a metal detector.

jrobinson

Autauga Co - Autauga, Independence, Kingston, Vernon, Washington

Elmore Co -Fort Jackson, Fort Toulouse, Fusi-Hatchi, Hatchitchapa, Hoithlewalli, Kailaidshi, Koasati, Kulumi, Odshiapofa, Okchayudshi, Pakana, Taskigi, Tomonpa, Tukabatchi, Weemooka

If you have trouble finding info let me know.

Freebooter

JRobinson,
Oh yes, I know some of those spots. When it said Ghost towns I thought it meant old abandoned towns like out west with buildings still standing. LOL! I should have known here in the damp, humid southeast nothing last long, cudzu, vines, and other growth grow right through any ruins while damp and humid conditions, termites, etc, just destroy any wooden structure.

Anyway, I used to live a couple of miles from "Old Kingston". It is still a country cross roads community, and until a few years ago all four roads that converge to form that comunity were dirt. It is very small with several homes, etc, and mostly black, but a cool little store to stop out on a bike ride in the country. The old Kingston cemetery is there and still used and kept up and an old cinderblock building all fallen in and overgrown with vines and growth. An area between that and the cemetery is overgrown with brush. The county court house was there at one time.

Independence, like Old Kingston, is just a cross roads in the country. Great bike ride if one loves country roads. A few homes, etc, there, one or two old ones, old barns, etc. I have not been to Vernon, not even sure where it is. Haven't been to Washington. That is all blocked off now, all the land owned by the Paper Mill. There is gate beside the construction entrance to the papermill on Washington Ferry Rd that is almost always closed. The road turns to dirt and gravel past that gate. I caught it open one time and road way out there near the river, saw a big set of brick and concrete steps where a big home once stood, a couple of old barns, etc. But never did see Washington, not sure how to get to it. 

I live in Millbrook, Elmore Co now. I've been to Ft. Toulouse many times, bought books in their bookstore. The area by the boat ramp is one of the most peaceful spots I know. Not much traffic there. Many dont like putting their boats in there due to the fast current of the Tallapoosa. It is funny yu mentioned the Indian towns. I have researched and found several. I have been to the site of Fusihatchi, Kulumi (Caloome), and a several others. Nothing there now of course but woods or a field or something. But it is neat standing there and imagining a spot when there was a Creek town there. In fact I am planning on a bike trip around Montgomery, Autauga, and Elmore counties to the various Indian village sites that I have researched and found and take some pics of what is there now. Been waiting on cool weather. Nothing I detest more than riding in 100*, humid central Alabama heat.
FB

jrobinson

This came from Dead Towns of Alabama

If you add some pics and a little more details to what you've said, you'll have a great ride report.

Freebooter

Thanks jrobinson, I will do that soon. I was planning on doing some riding today but woke up to thunder and lightning and raining. It is past noon time and still wet and drizzling. Feels soooo good though. I have my windows open.

I am going to a fish fry down near Atmore Saturday. It is about 30 folks probably from the BMW Owners of Alabama or something like that doing it. Camp out Sat night. I am riding with a frriend of mine who is a member of that. I would love to have a BMW one day. I will take pics and post about the ride. Sunday morning I am getting up and gonna try to hook up with a couple of relatives down that way. Should be an interesting ride.

Very soon I am going to put aside a day just to ride to all the Indian village and town sites that I have studied and been to. That will be an interesting story to tell with interesting pics. I know of like 12. That would be too many pics to have in one post though wouldn't it.

jrobinson

Make a new post for each town. I don't think we could have too many pics

KrisCook

Wasn't it DeBandi that used to do photo progressions that went from old pictures showing buildings, to pictures of the site as it is now, which is often just a few foundation stones in the weeds?  Those always fascinated me.  Did he do that with photoshop?  I could look at those all day.

I'm loving this thread.

Oh wait!  I'll like it!   :)
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Freebooter

Mr Robison, that sounds like a good idea, or say a couple of towns with two or three pics for them, description, name, how to get to it, etc, etc. I am looking forward to doing it. Hell, I might even put them all in a book and try to publish it. LOL! I love historical thing.

And Chris Cook, I love "Then and Now" pics. I have a book about the Battle of Antietum, Md in the War for Southern Independence with Then and Now pics in it. And glad you are liking the thread. An interesting subject.

Oh y'all, I forgot to mention, "Holy Ground" in Lowndes Co, Al. It is right on the river. It is wear a certain Indian and his followers built a quick little town and called it Holy Ground and told his followers he was blessed and no soldier or his bullet could do any harm there. It is the famous scene where William Reatherford jumped his horse off a bluff ito the Alabama River. When the soldiers and militia got through with it, it was sad.

jrobinson

Here's a couple archived reports from a snapshot of the old forum. This is just to give you an idea.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130402075351/http://bamarides.com/ride/alabama-ghost-town-project/america-al-ghost-town-ride-report/

http://web.archive.org/web/20130604093554/http://bamarides.com/ride/alabama-ghost-town-project/half-cocked-the-ride-to-oregonia-and-sterling/

Some reports are mostly pics and some are mostly words, the best are a good blend of both.

Freebooter

Thanks. Pretty neat. I am looking forward to getting out one day soon and doing this.