| View Unread
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crenshaw County (Complete)  (Read 325 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 633
Crenshaw County (Complete)
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:31:56 PM »
1.   Brantley Historic District – Sasser St., Fulton Ave. Peachtree St. and Wyatt, and the former Central of Georgia railroad line   Brantley
2.   Kirkpatrick House - West of Highland Home on U.S. Route 331   Highland Home
3.   Luverne Historic District - 1st, 6th Sts., Legrande, Glenwood, Folmar, and Hawkins Aves  Luverne
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:22:18 AM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 633
Re: Crenshaw County
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 10:04:49 AM »
1.   Brantley Historic District – Sasser St., Fulton Ave. Peachtree St. and Wyatt, and the former Central of Georgia railroad line   Brantley

The district includes commercial buildings, and it also includes residences, including Victorian cottages built along both sides of Main Street by carpenters Buster Wyatt and Bill Harrington




















Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 633
Re: Crenshaw County
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »
2.   Kirkpatrick House - West of Highland Home on U.S. Route 331   Highland Home

The Kirkpatrick House, also known as the Bradley House, is a historic house located on U.S. Route 331 west of Highland Home, Alabama. The house is one of only two buildings remaining from the Highland Home College, one of over 100 institutes of higher learning founded in Alabama in the 1880s. Colonel M. L. Kirkpatrick, a founder of the school, built the house sometime before 1870. When the Highland Home Institute was founded in the early 1880s, the house became a dormitory for the new school. The school changed its name to the Highland Home Male and Female College in 1889 and operated until 1916; during this time, it was the only institute of higher learning in Crenshaw County. The Kirkpatrick House is the only surviving building from the school's first years as well as the oldest building in Highland Home.

The Kirkpatrick House was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 25, 1975




« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:25:26 AM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 633
Re: Crenshaw County
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
3.   Luverne Historic District - 1st, 6th Sts., Legrande, Glenwood, Folmar, and Hawkins Aves  Luverne

The Luverne Historic District is a 100 acres (40 ha) historic district in Luverne, Alabama. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. It then included 161 contributing buildings.
The district is roughly bounded by 1st St., 6th St., and by Legrande, Glenwood, Folmar and Hawkins Avenues.
It includes works by architects Earl G. Lutz and Algernon Blair. It includes Queen Anne and Bungalow/craftsman architecture.
It includes the Crenshaw County Courthouse, on East Third Street, built in 1972, as a non-contributing resource.