News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Why don't riders come to Gymkhana?

Started by klaviator, September 24, 2017, 09:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zdc1775

My personal reason for not making it this past Saturday was that it was one of my niece's 1st birthday. Who would want to miss that?

Most of the people who I have personally tried to get to come to gymkhanas think it is a waste of time, that it will be too easy, that it is boring, that they don't need to practice going 5-10 mph, or that they might drop their bike and mess it up. And with the difficulty of setting up one of the bigger events and the relative irregularity of having them it is really difficult to change these people's minds. Add into that the locations which we have them at and you get people who might be slightly interested but don't want to ride an hour or more to come to the events, especially if they don't know at least one other person who is going.

Right now I'm thinking the best way to get more people to the big events is setting more of the smaller weekly or bi-weekly get togethers like what Springer does in Hoover. But again the biggest issue with that is finding a location that will allow it. As is I will continue to look for a location here in the Huntsville area to have an event.

jrobinson

There was a ton of folks that didn't show, but there were a good many that did. Let's not forget the ones that do come out and get better.

As for football, we've had several over the years that were in Sept/Oct. Probably due to the heat in the earlier months.

Maybe we need to look at early spring to have the next one. The weather will be cool and folks will be ready to get out and ride. Plus if it's March/Early April, I won't have to leave early to go work at track.

I didn't ride much Saturday, but I planned to be there to take pics. I believe photos and videos helped the forum grow in the beginning. I can't help but think photos will help gymkhana grow too.

springer

Quote from: zdc1775 on September 25, 2017, 09:45:44 AM
My personal reason for not making it this past Saturday was that it was one of my niece's 1st birthday. Who would want to miss that?

Most of the people who I have personally tried to get to come to gymkhanas think it is a waste of time, that it will be too easy, that it is boring, that they don't need to practice going 5-10 mph, or that they might drop their bike and mess it up. And with the difficulty of setting up one of the bigger events and the relative irregularity of having them it is really difficult to change these people's minds. Add into that the locations which we have them at and you get people who might be slightly interested but don't want to ride an hour or more to come to the events, especially if they don't know at least one other person who is going.

Right now I'm thinking the best way to get more people to the big events is setting more of the smaller weekly or bi-weekly get togethers like what Springer does in Hoover. But again the biggest issue with that is finding a location that will allow it. As is I will continue to look for a location here in the Huntsville area to have an event.
Ask around to the local Harley shops. HD, the Corporation, has really gotten involved in rider training the last few years. They could be interested if they see some videos of past Gymkhanas. 
I know the last time I was at Rocket HD they were located in a small building with a small parking lot. If they have moved from there I am sure it was to a much bigger building with a much bigger parking lot.
Actually, that /\ could be a good idea for us in the Birmingham area too.  :thinking-022:
The folks at Pinnacle Honda, were I bought my Africa Twin, are moving into a much bigger shop in Bessemer. They had fliers posted for this past Gymkhana  in the shop area and showroom that another member had given them. They are another place I will look into for GP8 next spring.
Any-who, find a place and I will help you out. Due to my weird work scheduled I am off a lot more than just Saturdays and Sundays now.

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

zdc1775

Quote from: springer on September 25, 2017, 03:39:42 PMAsk around to the local Harley shops. HD, the Corporation, has really gotten involved in rider training the last few years. They could be interested if they see some videos of past Gymkhanas. 
I know the last time I was at Rocket HD they were located in a small building with a small parking lot. If they have moved from there I am sure it was to a much bigger building with a much bigger parking lot.
Actually, that /\ could be a good idea for us in the Birmingham area too.  :thinking-022:
The folks at Pinnacle Honda, were I bought my Africa Twin, are moving into a much bigger shop in Bessemer. They had fliers posted for this past Gymkhana  in the shop area and showroom that another member had given them. They are another place I will look into for GP8 next spring.
Any-who, find a place and I will help you out. Due to my weird work scheduled I am off a lot more than just Saturdays and Sundays now.

The last time I spoke with anyone at Rocket, now Redstone, Harley they were not interested in hosting a free event as they thought it would deter people from taking their version of the MSF basic course. But that was before the new owners/managers were there so I will have to revisit that.

Other than that I have tried to get my work to allow us to use the parking lot on the weekends and also approached a few churches that friends of mine have ties to but they have all been no-go's because of liability concerns. I'm going to keep looking for somewhere that will let us have an event, even if it is a small one.

When I am able to find a location I will get in touch with you about designing/setting up a course.

Chitza

Zac, be sure to explain that we do not teach anyone to ride a motorcycle. We are not competition for rider training courses. We actually refuse riders who want to "learn" to ride. That's one of the purposes for the circle of trust. You have to show us that you know how to ride before you can participate. When someone shows up wanting to learn, we direct them to a rider course, like MSF or Harley's RIDER course.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

dredman

reasons for low-turnouts:
#1 is FEAR - I have heard EVERY excuse in the book, it all boils down to fear.  Folks should really be terrified to ride without it - the real danger is NOT in a parking lot

As far as spots.....

I have given up on Harley dealers - they perceive us as a threat to their lucrative rider training, and we do not fit into their business model.  I will not not try to SELL to anymore dealers.  The smart ones get it, and we have plenty of those for now. 

Been trying to put something together with Max Motorsports for years, and now they have a fresh new shop AND pavement, they are next in line for GK Birmingham.

After them, Pinnacle, they should be moving to their new shop next month.

This is really not hard, if you want a gymkhana close to you - find someone with a nice big parking lot, that has something to gain:

Churches only get a headache in return for folks scorching their lot -
Moto Dealers get eyeballs, and buyers with fond memories of times spent whizzing around in THEIR parking lot  :cool08:

Chuck A.

My apologies for not making it to Leeds on Saturday. The family was camping at the lake but I did come home to do two funerals with my Patriot Guard Rider Brothers and Sisters. It can be so heart breaking.....

On another note, I have been asked by more than 10 riders when there will be another GK around Falkville. They see me riding in this tight parking lots at funeral homes doing sharp turn-arounds while they are doing 5 point turn arounds. :respect-048:
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

aliensandexiles@gmail.com

Every time, without exception, it is a scheduling conflict for me. I'll see the ad, get excited (insert fist pump and WooHoo here), only to look at the date and get deflated. That's just the way it goes.

DachshundUberAlles

Perhaps there's just not a lot of interest. I get that "YOU" like it, but that doesn't mean that it is something that a majority should like or participate in. We all have types of riding that we do that very few others even remotely care about.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

renchinrider

I've had the chance to discuss Gymkhanas with Klaviator a time or two, and we both view these events as invaluable skill builders.  Even though I (and apparently many others) weren't able to make the trip to Leeds this past weekend, we owe the hosts of these events a huge THANK YOU for investing all the time, effort and money to make them happen!  :applause-003:

When I was in the military, I had to complete the MSF course at least once every 3 years.  When I went to take the course the first time, I wondered why I (who had ridden dirt and street bikes in the past) needed to complete the course.  By the time the day was over, I understood the course's value, and I've been an ardent supporter ever since.  I see gymkhanas as an extension of the MSF courses, and I support them 110%!  Now, if I can just get my schedule/location and that of the next gymkhana to intersect... :crazy:
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!