good ideas when thare are more than one of us on a ride (group riding)

Started by skypuppy, November 16, 2017, 01:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypuppy

These are some practical guidelines that make sense to me, gathered from different groups over the years, for group road rides.
1. always ride staggered, with the lead i the left rut of the lane.  Adjust as necessary for traffic and road conditions. 
2. In the twisties or bad roads, ride single file so each rider can have the entire lane to adjust as they need to.
3. If a group gets separated, during every turn, the last rider in the sub-group waits somewhere safe BEFORE the turn so that riders behind can know where to go,  That's especially important during long trips where not everyone knows even where they are!
4. If possible, ride captain and tailgunner have communications, whether CB or what, so that if someone gets in trouble, the tailgunner can notify the captain, then stop and help the one in trouble.  That makes the next guy the new (temporary) tailgunner.
5. Stay hydrated!
6. Ride your own ride.  You are responsible for YOUR ride.  The Ride Captain's main job is to lead the group on the pre-planned route.
7. ABSOLUTELY no texting while riding.  Are you some kind of fool or what?  You endanger yourself and everyone behind you.
8. Keep your bike maintained.
9. It's the captains job to find out the smallest tank/shortest leg, but it is YOUR responsibility not to run out of gas.
10. And most important: ride within YOUR skill level and YOUR bike's capabilities.  It is your responsibility, after all.

klaviator

That's pretty much how we ride although we don't necessarily use the term "road captain" or "tail Gunner".  Having communications between the ride leader and tail gunner is a good idea but In general that doesn't happen on our rides.

Since we have such a diversity in riders and bikes, having the group get separated is pretty much the norm.  Fast guys up front and "less fast" guys in the back.  That way everyone gets to ride their own pace.  We re-group at turns.  We really try to emphasize the ride your own pace thing.  We would much rather wait a minute or two at an intersection than wait 30  minutes for an ambulance to show for someone who rode beyond their limits.  You will sometimes find sport bikes, touring bikes, cruisers, dual sports and scooters all on the same ride.  This really shouldn't work but for us it does because we don't try to ride like it's a parade.

The ride leader normally gives a brief before the ride so everyone knows what to expect.

Fencejumper09

I know we have talked extensively on the subject but this is a good place to reiterate the need for sharing emergency contact information!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

LawnmowerRG

Thanks for posting this up Skypuppy.
This has been discussed and hashed out here in our community for many years.
Doesn't matter if it's dirt or street we alway truly to follow those rules.

If you had searched you would have found thread about this very topic. No problem though it needs to be brought up regular to remind people, and with the recent changes I would say very good it has come up quick.
We want to include every rider and bike in our community.
We don't want someone to not show because they think they will get left behind.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Ole smokey

As an ABATE rider for many years I've done a lot of group riding in small and very very large groups. These guidelines are well known with ABATE guys and good info for anyone that likes riding in groups.

TC

I also ride in NC, TN and VA with a BMW group who emphasizes to ride your own ride, allow faster riders to pass easily and always make sure the rider behind you sees you make a turn.  This ensures no one is left behind and has worked very well.

jrobinson

Quote from: TC on January 05, 2018, 06:37:52 AM
I also ride in NC, TN and VA with a BMW group who emphasizes to ride your own ride, allow faster riders to pass easily and always make sure the rider behind you sees you make a turn.  This ensures no one is left behind and has worked very well.

We follow the same rules on group rides here.

It helps to stop as soon as you turn, so you don't' have to chase riders down that are grinning so big, that they can't see you 100 ft from the intersection. This is especially helpful on roads like the Natchez Trace.