News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

MAG group files chapter 11

Started by norton73, November 17, 2017, 10:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

Who's MAG group and what does that have to do with me? You ask.

MAG group owns a bunch of the aftermarket suppliers we all use such as Tucker Rocky, J&P Cycles, and several others.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/motorcycle-aftermarket-group-mag-chapter-11-refinance/
Loose nut holding the handlebars

LawnmowerRG

That is pretty big news.
I hope we don't loose that large a portion of the industry.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Nice Goat

Renthal and Vance & Hines too.  Hopefully they find a new owner and don't go out of business.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

Sad news indeed. I don't know how many of y'all were alive and riding in the early 1980's but the motorcycle business took a big dump then too.  :crazy:

Harley wasn't selling nothing. AMF, owners of the brand at the time, didn't seem to have a clue about the motorcycle business.

The big 4 Japanese companies had imported WAY to many motorcycles into the U.S.A. and dealers were WAY over stocked.

BMW was thinking about closing down motorcycle production completely.

Ducati was a brand you just read about in motorcycle magazines.  :cool08:

Of course things started turning around in the late(ish) 1980's. We have had basically good times ever since. But now the market is sort of drying up.

Baby boomers are at, or reaching the age, of not riding or not being able to ride anymore.     :sorry:

The generations that have followed haven't taken to riding as much...for what ever reason.  :sorry:

I don't think the American motorcycle market is in danger of drying up and disappearing. (We are still the largest market...from what I have read.) But it will not be the same as it use to be.

Okay, old man rant over, carry on.  :lol-049:
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

norton73

Actually the Asian markets are bigger than the US market. We probably are the biggest market for over 400c. bikes however.
"
The four largest motorcycle markets in the world are all in Asia: China, India, Indonesia, and Vietnam. India, with an estimated 37 million motorcycles/mopeds, was home to the largest number of motorised two wheelers in the world. China came a close second with 34 million motorcycles/mopeds in 2002."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycling

Loose nut holding the handlebars

LawnmowerRG

From my personal experience I see the hipsters and then some people under that age looking at bikes. Funny thing most of them are looking at 800 and down. And I only add 800 because of the run in adv bikes. As well as the few 70s 750s still around being choped up for Cafe racers.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.