News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Gana Trail Has anyone done it?

Started by sctparker, December 15, 2015, 09:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sctparker

Has anyone done the  Gana trail in Clay County lately on two wheels?Last time I went was a few years ago (somewhere around 2007) and was on 4 wheels and it was during our drought.

Here are the directions I found in a box of papers, you can get a map from the clay county chamber

0.0 miles   Beginning on the square in Ashland, take Highway 77 toward Talladega.
0.05 miles   Turn left onto High Pine Road/County Road 34 (Gas station)
5.6 miles   Turn left at the "T" onto Mines Road
7.4 miles   Road turns to dirt
14.1 miles   Turn left onto Bolton Road (unmarked); if you go to wooden bridge you have gone too far
16.1 miles   On Bolton Road there is a waterfall on the left
16.2 miles   Turn right at the "T" County Road 18 (paved)
17.9 miles   Turn left onto Cann Road (dirt, marked)
20.1 miles   Cross Highway 148, continue on Cann Road (dirt)
20.5 miles   Bear to the left at the "T", not the driveway on left
22.3 miles   Turn right onto Valley Road (dirt road crossroads); Shady Grove church on the right
24.8 miles   Turn right at the "T" onto County Road 7 (paved)
25.8 miles   Turn left on Bullgap Road
27.5 miles   Enter Hollins Wildlife Management Area (no firearms)
29.0 miles   Turn right at unmarked narrow dirt road 680; White Gap Road
31.1 miles   Turn right at stop sign. Highway 148
34.4 miles   Turn left off Highway 148 onto County Road 7
36.8 miles   Turn left off County Road 7 onto Horn's Valley Road (dirt)
44.5 miles   Turn right at stop sign onto Highway 77 South (paved); continue 13 miles to Ashland
57.5 miles   Ending in Ashland (point of start)

KevinB

sctparker

I have the map , the other trails are nice street rides  , bicycles seem to like them a lot

Postmaster

The National Forest administration has closed the best portion of the route.  The portion by the tower, south of Hwy 148 is closed.

KevinB

Quote from: sctparker on December 15, 2015, 09:09:46 PM
20.1 miles   Cross Highway 148, continue on Cann Road (dirt)

I was out today, and decided to see how much of the loop I could do on a heavy sport-touring bike with street tires. It wasn't bad...the hard-pack clay was mostly dry. Any moisture whatsoever would have had me on my ass, though.

I made it to the point above...luckily I was plodding along fairly slow or I might not have noticed the wire fence now blocking Cann Rd. south of Hwy 148. By this time it was late in the afternoon, and I decided to head back toward home. I'll wind up going back and exploring some more.

Postmaster

The fence / gate you are referring to, has always been there.  You simply open it and then close it.  Keeps cattle in.

KevinB

zx3fred

I don't know much about the rest of the route but instead of taking Horns Valley Rd. I would take the second left at the top of the hill on 149 (Bulls Gap) onto County RD 6000-1 and then it turns into Talladega Co Rd 307 and it will transverse across the top of that ridge. Comes out on 77 as well. There is one spot worth stopping and taking in the view at Sherman's Cliff . I go there all the time with a buddy and his Jeep and look forward to checking out the rest of the route on my soon to have KLR. I'll try to reply again once I make it up there on the bike.
If you are looking for high performance, you need to jack up the gas cap and roll another bike underneath it.

'16 KLR650 - coming soon

springer

Quote from: zx3fred on February 09, 2018, 01:00:06 AM
I don't know much about the rest of the route but instead of taking Horns Valley Rd. I would take the second left at the top of the hill on 149 (Bulls Gap) onto County RD 6000-1 and then it turns into Talladega Co Rd 307 and it will transverse across the top of that ridge. Comes out on 77 as well. There is one spot worth stopping and taking in the view at Sherman's Cliff . I go there all the time with a buddy and his Jeep and look forward to checking out the rest of the route on my soon to have KLR. I'll try to reply again once I make it up there on the bike.

Cool! Looking forward to the report. I am off Wensday and Thursday next week and I am thinking of hitting that route on my A.T.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

zx3fred

Quote from: zx3fred on February 09, 2018, 01:00:06 AM
I would take the second left at the top of the hill on 149 (Bulls Gap) onto County RD 6000-1 and then it turns into Talladega Co Rd 307 and it will transverse across the top of that ridge. Comes out on 77 as well.
Here is a map i made on Google Maps. I marked the Horns Valley Rd in red so you can see what I'm trying to convey.
If you are looking for high performance, you need to jack up the gas cap and roll another bike underneath it.

'16 KLR650 - coming soon