News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dr650 thread

Started by Buzz, November 19, 2017, 10:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

My stiffer springs will be here on Monday.  Going to put more grease on all the bearings and linkages while I have it torn down.  Japanese dual sports are known for having dryish bearings and linkages from the factory.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

Completed install of jet kit and carb mods today.  Removed forks and drained the oil.  Checked (added) grease on steering head bearings.  Still waiting for my stiffer springs...

Nice Goat

Worked on it all day yesterday and finished up this morning.  Got the swingarm bolt and all the linkages greased.  Stiffer fork and shock springs installed, along with Cogent DDC inserts.  Longer (+2") cables and brake line installed.  LED conversion completed with diode harness so the indicator works correctly.  Aux lights installed (one 30° spot and one 60° flood).

The new springs gave it more height/ground clearance.  This thing almost feels like an XR650 now.   ;D

Filled the tank with gas, and it fired right up.  Time for a shakedown ride...

Nice Goat

A common problem with the DR650 is that opening the airbox can cause some surging at speed due to the conflicting air needs of the airbox and the carb vacuum filter.  I noticed a little of this on my test ride up around 60mph, so I took an old bin and created a divider wall between the two.  Also, it's very difficult to clean the inside of the vacuum filter, so I covered it with a pre-filter cloth and sprayed a little filter oil over it.  We'll see how this works.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Nice Goat on December 10, 2017, 01:16:11 PM
Worked on it all day yesterday and finished up this morning.  Got the swingarm bolt and all the linkages greased.  Stiffer fork and shock springs installed, along with Cogent DDC inserts.  Longer (+2") cables and brake line installed.  LED conversion completed with diode harness so the indicator works correctly.  Aux lights installed (one 30° spot and one 60° flood).

The new springs gave it more height/ground clearance.  This thing almost feels like an XR650 now.   ;D

Filled the tank with gas, and it fired right up.  Time for a shakedown ride...

very very nice. I hope everyone who had ever complained about their stock headlight caught that part about using one spot and one flood for supplemental lighting.

:-)
just give 'er the berries !

Nice Goat

Weight reduction was not my only goal, but it was a goal.  Suzuki's website claims that the 2018 DR650 weighs 366 pounds with a 3.4 gallon tank.
With all of my mods, including the larger gas tank, skid plate, case armor, aux lighting, etc., I added only one pound.  Mine weighs 367.

Nice Goat

My DR650 pulls strong now, but there is a delayed response off idle and the power is not very linear.  I've heard that the pumper carb fixes these issues, so I just ordered one from ProCycle.  Hopefully that'll smooth out the response and eliminate the vacuum issues.

Buzz

Yes it will. If set up correctly it will enable you to lug it further er than before.

Getting it directly from procycle is a good move. They should have the tune very close. They are DR zen masters.

I got mine off a Harley 1200. It was a pita to set up. I had to change everything.

The only warning I'll give relates to the adapters they use. The engine side mouth is slightly smaller than the bt40 carb. They send an adapter ring. Over time I got a vacuum leak there. A wrap of electrical tape fixed that.

Enjoy the lugability. 8)

Nice Goat

Ordered Friday -- arrived Monday -- installed Tuesday.

Went for a little 30-mile test ride around north Cullman County.  Bike runs purrrrfect!  No more surging/bucking/herky-jerky.  Power delivery is crisp, linear, and predictable.  This is the way a DR650 was meant to ride!

Bike has 300 miles on it now, so I'm going to go ahead with the first oil change.  Hopefully I can start putting some miles on this thing now that winter/cold/flu/etc is nearly finished...

TFancher

So.. when is the big unveiling? About time for another trip to the mountains.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Nice Goat

Check the dirt rides section... Going riding in Talladega on Sunday.

Bamagator

Digging your mods and build!

Brian A

In other news... This past Saturday, this happened:

Thought I'd do some early prep work on the DR650. Get ahead of the game getting it ready for Colorado. Let's get those steering head bearings inspected and greased......

Picture my DR650 on the lift stand with nothing on the front end still attached. Nothing.
Handle bars with all wiring, throttle cables, brake lines, etc attached, hanging from a strap hooked to bracket on the garage roof.

And then the beast decides to shift ever so slightly and fall off the lift stand.

I now have an ignition switch with its wiring guts ripped out.
Other random wires, ripped from somewhere (?) just staring at me. Speedo cables, throttle cables and other stuff in who-knows-what condition.

I wrestled the big pig back onto the lift and did my best to make sure it wouldn't fall off again. I called it a night, closed the garage door, turned off the light and went inside.

Since then I have finished the front fork work and got them back on the bike.
I will have to remove the top triple clamp so I can remove the stock ignition module. It is beyond any hope of being able to be salvaged.

I have reviewed the schematic and found online info on what wires to do what with and where to install the necessary 100 ohm resistor to make the CDI power play nice.

If the wiring tips I found are legit and I don't let all the magic smoke out of various bits here-and-there, the plan is to use a simple generic ignition switch and hopefully all will be good.

Hopefully......

Nice Goat

Quote from: Brian A on February 28, 2018, 07:57:42 PM
And then the beast decides to shift ever so slightly and fall off the lift stand.
I now have an ignition switch with its wiring guts ripped out.

Dayum.... that sux.

Bamagator

Bummer man on the drop.