News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Thinking about a group trip in 2018?

Started by klaviator, December 01, 2017, 10:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Those of you who have been here for a while know that the folks on this forum have done some really awesome group rides in the past few years.  Alaska, Baja, Key West, Canada and the Blue Ridge Parkway were some of the destinations.  There have also been a bunch of shorter weekend trips to places like Tellico Plains, Tn, Suches, GA and various places in the NC mountains.  As I write this there is a group planning on Key West next March.

Are you thinking of a trip in 2018?  Maybe you would be interested in joining some of the Cool Kids on one of these trips.  Maybe you just don't know so you don't want to start a thread on some vague dream in the back of your head.

I am starting this thread for those folks who want to start dreaming about next year but don't have anything resembling definite plans.  So if you are thinking about leading some rides next year or just want to join up, post up in this thread.  If you have no idea then you will be able to see what others are thinking and maybe something will look good to you.  The idea is to get people thinking and maybe get some people together.  Once you get something resembling a real plan and dates in mind it's time to start a new thread.

Anything from  weekend trips to epic adventure ideas belongs here.  No day rides please.

klaviator

Last year I went to Tellico Plains for Nice Goat's Ride for Pie Dual Sport weekend.  I'd like to do a weekend Dual Sport ride out of Tellico Plains again this year.  If I don't find a ride to join then I'll post one up.  Date?  Sometime between March and November but not July or August when it's usually pretty hot.

klaviator

I normally try to do a weekend dual sport ride out of Suches, GA. in July or August when it's too hot to be comfortable at lower elevations.  Base will be Two Wheels of Suches which offers camping, cabins and rooms in the lodge.

Chitza

Nice Goats Ride for Pie to Tellico was my favorite ride last year! I hope Key West doesn't interfere this year :'(
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

klaviator

Every year I do at least one weekend riding some of the twistiest roads in Western NC.  I plan on doing that again next year.  Base will probably be Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort but could be Cherohalla Mountain Trails Campground.  Date?  Anytime from April through November.

IceCold4x4

I've got 2 or 3 rides kicking around in my head for next year. Want to go for another long weekend for some Suches based street rides. I'd like to go west (no real destination other than riding up Pikes peak) and I'd like to do an Iron butt while remaining inside Alabama...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

Tellico is a definite possibility.
Might try to make a trip to Arkansas also.
And/or farther west.
Another possibility is West Virginia.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

David DoubleEX

Quote from: klaviator on December 01, 2017, 11:42:53 AM
Every year I do at least one weekend riding some of the twistiest roads in Western NC.  I plan on doing that again next year.  Base will probably be Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort but could be Cherohalla Mountain Trails Campground.  Date?  Anytime from April through November.
Annual v Strom meet up is held at the iron horse on a weekend in May. I have went twice. There are barely planned rides but loads of like minded people. Might you want to go then?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

norton73

I'd like to go back to Tellico again in the spring. Any weekend other than March Moto Madness should work.

June 2nd is the Red Mile in Lexington KY, Lynn and I are discussing taking Thursday through Monday off.

We are also wanting to try to go to Austin in April for MotoGP, but I think time constraints may make it a airplane ride...

I'd also like to do the Smoky Mtn 500  https://www.facebook.com/groups/698628080200070/  next year.

We are going to Idaho in August, but that's gonna be a week long kayaking trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon, so bikes will probably stay home this year.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

Quote from: David DoubleEX on December 01, 2017, 03:28:15 PM
Annual v Strom meet up is held at the iron horse on a weekend in May. I have went twice. There are barely planned rides but loads of like minded people. Might you want to go then?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I have every other Friday night off.  If it falls on one of those weekends then that might be a good time.  I also have a good riding buddy who has a V strom.  May is also a good time of year weather wise.

Post up when you find out the date and maybe we can start planning.

norton73

Oh, and I am planning on attending 17th Rick's Eastern Rendezvous in May. Probably gonna ride up Thursday and return Sunday.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/17th-ricks-eastern-rendezvous-may-16-20-2018-murphy-nc.1261890/

springer

Quote from: norton73 on December 01, 2017, 03:38:08 PM
Oh, and I am planning on attending 17th Rick's Eastern Rendezvous in May. Probably gonna ride up Thursday and return Sunday.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/17th-ricks-eastern-rendezvous-may-16-20-2018-murphy-nc.1261890/
Been thinking about that one myself.  ;) Just got to get off this S&A and get back to work.  :(
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

norton73

Quote from: springer on December 01, 2017, 03:40:39 PM
Been thinking about that one myself.  ;) Just got to get off this S&A and get back to work.  :(

I think Allen has indicated an interest too. When it gets closer we can start a thread.

klaviator

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on December 01, 2017, 12:24:41 PM
I've got 2 or 3 rides kicking around in my head for next year. Want to go for another long weekend for some Suches based street rides. I'd like to go west (no real destination other than riding up Pikes peak) and I'd like to do an Iron butt while remaining inside Alabama...

I'm sure I'll be doing at least one or two weekend street rides to Suches as well.

IceCold4x4

Quote from: klaviator on December 01, 2017, 03:44:30 PM
I'm sure I'll be doing at least one or two weekend street rides to Suches as well.
It really is God's gift to 2 wheels in the us...