News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

How to Post Google Photos

Started by jrou111, December 01, 2017, 11:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrou111

Google offers several cloud features such as Google Docs, Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos. They should be pretty self explanatory:

Docs - document storage where you can share and even collaborate with others (they can contribute if you set it that way)
Gmail - email, calendar, checklists
Drive - cloud storage for files of any type
Photos - cloud storage for photos

With Google Drive (GD for short) and Google Photos (GP for short) they are essentially set up as repositories for your files and photos to do as you wish. By default, they are set to private and have a root folder. Although technically you can share your root folder, it's generally not a good idea to do so because ANYONE can steal your files or photos. So what you do is move the files and photos to a sub-folder and set that folder as shared. By default, any item inside that folder inherits the sharing permissions of that folder.

To do that in GP here are the steps (assuming you have already set up a GD and GP account):

1. Go to photos.google.com
2. In your root folder, click on the icon on the left that says "Albums" to view your albums. Then click "create new album".

3. You'll need to have photos already added into the root folder. After this window you'll get a chance to name your album as well. Click done at the top left once you're ready to create the new album.

4. Next you have to share the album. On the top left there is an icon with 3 vertical dots. Click on that icon and select sharing options.

5. Move the slider next to "sharing" to enable sharing. Then you'll see some other options. Personally, I recommend not allowing people to contribute (collaborate) or comment on fully public albums but you can choose to do so if you wish. For the ones I have shared with just my wife, I have that set so she can add photos or comment.

Hope that helps someone out there. Obviously there are several ways to do what I described above as well as it can be done through the desktop app, the mobile app, etc. but I find the above the simplest method to show how it's done. If you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear them.

jrou111

Here's the 2nd section on how to actually get them on the forum...

1. In GP, click on the photo you want to share. It will open the photo almost full screen. Then right click in your browser and select "view image" (that's how it is in Firefox, other browsers should be similar).

2. The picture should be full screen now with no google arrows or options superimposed on the image. Go up to the URL bar and select all, then copy it.

3. For MotorcyclingAlabama, on your message or reply click on the icon to add an image. It looks like a mini Mona Lisa. It'll drop in a set of [ing][/ing] brackets (with m instead of n) and just paste your image link in the middle.

springer

Never used Google pictures. Do they charge for storage or anything?
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrou111

Quote from: springer on December 01, 2017, 11:12:49 AM
Never used Google pictures. Do they charge for storage or anything?

Google Drive provides 15 GB free cloud storage which Google Photos can use all or a portion of it.

I have that + 100GB and it's like $20 a year.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375123?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

springer

Quote from: jrou111 on December 01, 2017, 11:34:15 AM
Google Drive provides 15 GB free cloud storage which Google Photos can use all or a portion of it.

I have that + 100GB and it's like $20 a year.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375123?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
That's pretty darn cheep!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

klaviator

jrou111

Refresh your browser. I updated the link but it may be cached on your end?

Edit: never mind. Looks to be a permissions issue on my end. I'll try and fix it.

terryrussell1

Thanks James I was trying to figure this out the other day. Maybe I will have better luck with your guide then last time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jrou111

klaviator

springer

I can see it in the original post now!

Nice Goat

I can see it now also.

Google seems like a lot of work when it comes to sharing photos in forums.  They are great at many things, but embedded photos is not one of them.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

jrou111

Quote from: Nice Goat on December 01, 2017, 02:46:22 PM
I can see it now also.

Google seems like a lot of work when it comes to sharing photos in forums.  They are great at many things, but embedded photos is not one of them.

I would agree, but I like that all of my photos on my phone are automatically backed up whenever I connect to WiFi.