What to look for when buying a used bike

Started by springer, December 15, 2017, 05:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

I could post what I look for when I buy a used bike but saw this video and thought, Dang he nails it.  ;)
So if your in the market for something gently and lovingly used, take a look. He really does cover a lot of the basics.

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

merc16

Thanks for posting that ! I've never seen a testing kit. That is a cool idea.
Justin

KevinB

I sold my Husky 510 earlier this year to a gentleman that drove up from Clearwater, FL. He brought his own stand, tools, etc. to check it out.

I went back into the garage to leave him alone with it and a little while later heard a cordless drill driver...so I went to see what was going on. He had taken all the plastics off to check every nook and cranny, checked all fasteners, wheel bearings, steering stem bearings, etc. Spent a total of about 30 minutes doing an in-depth inspection on the bike. I told him I was impressed...had never seen anyone go to that length to check out a bike I'd sold. I also told him I knew he wouldn't find any issues...the only thing he found was a couple of loose spokes that I hadn't checked in awhile.  :)

Chitza

Quote from: KevinB on December 16, 2017, 02:02:07 PM
He had taken all the plastics off to check every nook and cranny, checked all fasteners, wheel bearings, steering stem bearings, etc. Spent a total of about 30 minutes doing an in-depth inspection on the bike.

I wonder if I could interest him in a 2003 BMW...and then back out. Free in depth inspection!! I'm winning!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

kylepeterson

if the tars r round and it doesn't sound like a cement mixer with grandma inside, game on
just give 'er the berries !