No easy ride: Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast

Started by Brian A, December 16, 2017, 08:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fencejumper09

Younger people are buying bikes! They are buying cheap used bikes and customizing them to stand out in a crowd or on social media. Almost all of the younger people I know with bikes, have bought used. Pricing on new bikes is ridiculous!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

bblass

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on December 18, 2017, 09:12:42 AM
Younger people are buying bikes! They are buying cheap used bikes and customizing them to stand out in a crowd or on social media. Almost all of the younger people I know with bikes, have bought used. Pricing on new bikes is ridiculous!!

I couldn't find the statistic earlier but I l believe used sales have increased over the past 5 years while new sales have started to taper off. Increases in quality and lower prices in the secondary market make it a much more attractive option for new riders.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

klaviator

Quote from: bblass on December 18, 2017, 08:51:31 AM

o Kids today still think motorcycles are cool, it's our job as ambassadors of the sport to engage them.

Some kids may think motorcycles are cool but the percentage of younger people who want or have had the chance to ride is less than it used to be.  Even in my generation there were those who had no interest in motorcycles.  The fact is that the majority of the people in this country do not ride motorcycles.  We are a minority. 

Think about all those kids who live in big cities who just aren't exposed to dirt bikes.  They may see street bikes but their parents tell them they are dangerous and only idiots ride them.  Sure there are plenty of kids in rural areas who have been exposed to dirt bikes or at least ATVs but our population in migrating to urban areas. 

Then there is the biggest rival to motorcycles.  That would be addiction to electronic devices.  Why go out and risk your life riding when you can just play this really outrageous motorcycle video game?

I don't see motorcycling going away anytime soon.  The industry will not collapse.  However, if it doesn't find a way to attract more younger riders it will continue to struggle and slowly decrease in size.

Chitza

Ha! Both my daughters have expressed interest in riding. I shut that down QUICK! That shit is dangerous!  8)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

jrou111

lastparrot

Ok well I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in since over the last year we have covered this on the podcast a few times.   The issue that motorcycle companies are having with mellinials is the fact that as a generation they arent into ownership or possessions.  When asked about motorcycles they would rather rent then buy. 
On top this we have that generation see what debt has done to people, this leaves them less likely to finance a bike.  Stateside Harley is down, however look at Triumph, BMW Royal Enfield.  These comoainies have seen growth in the states the last few years.  Yeah we might replace aging riders with younger ones as fast as some would like.
There are some positive signs however.  We are starting to see cooperation between American Manufactures to attract new riders.  More opportunities to get on bikes and to learn what the newer generation desires in a ride (function vs form).  The corporate stance is moving to a" let me tell you should buy a bike and why my brand is great", instead of a critical view on the competition.  Some studies have indicated that this in fighting is drivibg away potential riders.
I will call it a night with this.  The motorcycle culture has been changing.  Groups like Motorcycle Alabama that promote a open welcoming position on all bikes and riders will do for the industry. Showing a single stong brotherhood approach over the waring tribes of cruiser vs sport or Harley vs the world.   Anyway th oight u eould chime in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Brian A

Someone, I don't know the guy, shared the same info link on fb. Their algorithms decided I would like to see it, and so I did. I have read all the comments, and there are quite a few.  The comments, for the most part, mirror the the diversity of opinions expressed here on mc-al.

I am enjoying reading what everyone has to say on the matter. Personally, I think all have some validity and some place - large or small - in the discussion and when considering a root cause.

I still find myself stuck on this, jrou's comment: "This is a just symptom of a much bigger societal problem.". 
One symptom. But a big one. And admittedly one could substitute some other, less judgmental word, for "problem". But in my heart I do see much of it as a problem.

I have seen similar concerns expressed in the fishing and hunting world.  Fewer young folks are interested in fishing. Fewer young folks go hunting.
And, depending on how you view the data, and depending on your own observations, one could argue fewer young folks are getting into motorcycling.

One factor surely impacts all three:  The availability of a place to hunt/fish/ride (dirtbike).  "Civilization" expands and as Travis Tritt sings......

"The back forty was sold to make up for hard times
Then sold by the half acre lot overnight
The houses went up and the trees were cut down
And there went the finest deer hunting around
Lord, everyone's locking their doors
'Cause country ain't country no more.

Now his dad sits in traffic looking 'round at the change
Watching crews turn the county road into four lanes
The old Sunday drive has turned into a chore
Country ain't country no more.
Lord, country ain't country no more."

I KNOW for a fact that has been a big factor in my life in Alabama. And I'm certain the same would apply to many, many urban and suburban areas across the country.  If you don't have ready access to such activities as a kid, and if no one is there to encourage and/or take you there as a kid, then the interest - if it naturally existed in the first place - gets squelched and, these days, most likely replaced by technology that only requires you turn on a device or two and sit on the couch.

Another thing is in my mind, and its a bit hard to explain....

The WW-II generation was tested by fire. The Great Depression and The War "hardened" people. All people. It was tough times and folks who got through it all were, naturally, of a different character than would have been the case had the events not taken place.

In the years that followed, their "spirit" and economic prosperity lead to opportunities for men (I'll just speak of men here as my experience as a female is non-existent) to live life and live it large. Rock and Roll music. Fast cars. Motorcycles. Huntin' and fishin'.

The first and second generation that followed had the influence of those folks as parents and grandparents and I'm inclined to believe that influence actually had influence. Opportunities for local outdoor fun were more available and young guys found themselves, naturally (if that is the proper word) gravitating to those activities.

Fast forward to today. Urban and suburban growth has consumed many of the places where riding and hunting and fishing used to take place, so some/many dads are not into the activities like they might have been otherwise.

No "big war", widespread economic/social depression or similar "gut check" time has been seen in two lifetimes. So, maybe(?) the long period of prosperity has allowed for "being life lazy" to take root? Every sort of "turn me on, click me/push my buttons" distraction is in the hands of kids as soon as they can hold it and push the buttons. No need to go anywhere and do anything. The entertainment/pastime is right there on the table.

No place close by to sneak off to and ride a dirtbike or shoot a .22, so it doesn't happen.

The police and society frown upon a kid riding a motorcycle on public roads and probably not going to be a good thing to see a young guy walking through the neighborhood with his BB-gun.

and also..... The Experts tell us of a cultural shift towards less interest in property ownership and a move to inner-city living. Walk to wherever or take a bus.  Hunting/fishing (killing animals) is "wrong". Dirtbikes in the woods, etc. destroys nature.

And then there's crap like this: (to follow-up on a comment Kevin made much earlier on here)

Dateline 2017: "Yale University will no longer formally call first-year students "freshmen" as the university is officially changing its terminology to be gender-neutral. ...... So instead of being considered an "upperclassman," a student with multiple years of collegiate experience will be officially considered an "upper-level" student."
"For as long as he can remember, Holloway said, parents and students have occasionally expressed frustrations about the term being gender-specific."

(side note - what in the world are they going to do about the words huMAN and woMAN and sHE?)

I could go on, but I'll stop.  I admit I am painting with a broad brush. I admit to being, to some extent, perhaps a bit nostalgic. Even if that be the case, I still believe some of what I described is a factor in what we see today in motorcycling and outdoor activities.

Obviously the things I mention do not apply to everyone, everywhere, in every situation. But I believe it applies to many. I believe they are significant factors, among several others, when considering and discussing the perceived decline in interest in motorcycles (and hunting and fishing).

klaviator

Brian, I agree with everything you just posted.  Sometimes I look at what is going on in this country and wonder how long before the country collapses due to sheer stupidity.....

But then I think about the millenials that I know.  For the most part they don't fit the mold that the millenials should.  They aren't the super risk adverse snowflakes.  Some of them do things like cliff diving, mixed martial arts, hunting, fishing and yes even riding those deadly motorcycles. 

Then we don't yet know what the next generation will be like.  Maybe the pendulum will swing back the other way?

Also consider this.  How many people in our generation are part of this problem?  Every generation has had a wide mix of people.  Many people of the older generation have never hunted, fished or ridden a motorcycle.  Who is that started this super risk adverse culture? 

Too many questions and not enough answers.  I'm going to try too stop thinking about this and look forward to my next ride.

Brian A

Excellent points Win.  And I too know Millennials that don't fit the big-picture, macro stereotype of what a Millennial is.

The Millennial demographic is a VERY large demographic and I think the stereotype fits a sizable percentage. (think about the huge numbers in the big population centers of the US)

There will ALWAYS be those at either end of the bell curve. Those who are extreme snowflakes and have no interest in a risky, thrilling lifestyle and those who live for the thrill of motorcycling, daybreak in a boat catching bass or sundown in a deer stand in the middle of the woods, or any of several other more "adventurous" pursuits.  I see those as near quintessential examples of life in America. But that's just my views on things.

Maybe the bell curve will shift and other pursuits (rock climbing, hang gliding, martial arts, etc.) will fill the meat of the curve and motorcycling will be a bit on the edge of the curve.

But back to the subject that was the initial matter:  How can/will the motorcycle industry respond to these, and whatever other shifts, might be a part of a lower participation rate/lower sales future?

Like you said Win: "Too many questions and not enough answers" ?

Might be. 

I wish the industry well. Motorcycle riding is too much fun to be missed out on by at least some sizable percent of the population!

jrou111

Brian A

That /\ was excellent.  And a wonderful representation of younger guys out having fun on motorcycles.

After watching it, If I didn't already have a DS , I'd probably be shopping today.

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: Brian A on December 20, 2017, 07:59:58 AM
After watching it, If I didn't already have a DS , I'd probably be shopping today.

I agree.... But then I always feel that way hearing and seeing all the adventures you fine folks take off roading. Always reminds me of my teen years on trails. Thanks everyone for sharing those on the forum.

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chitza

This brings up the point mentioned about meeting the new generation where they are. In this case YouTube. I don't know why I haven't shred this before. I follow this guy on YouTube.

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Nice Goat

Everybody likes to bash millennials, but they have grown up only knowing terrorism, economic depression, and vicious political division.  It is no wonder that they think differently from older generations.

Do any of you think that any generation has not criticized the generations behind them?
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

jrou111

Quote from: Nice Goat on December 20, 2017, 12:50:56 PM
Everybody likes to bash millennials, but they have grown up only knowing terrorism, economic depression, and vicious political division.

Not to get too political, but to add to that the divorce industry has effectively destroyed wealth by redistributing it from the family to the state.

I think that before people start bashing on millenials, it's a good idea to think about the world that their parents created for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSvlTYfUrs