News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Going to Cali.

Started by IceCold4x4, January 11, 2018, 11:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

So an opportunity has presented itself with work. Leaving Sunday for California, LA to be precise. So I'm taking a sprinter van out there empty however it'll be loaded on the way back unknown if there will be enough room for the bike inside the back.

Any suggestions on how to get the bike back from Cali? Really not looking to pay for shipping it back. The van hadms a rear step thst will hold at least 2 full size adults standing on it, so I'm going to see if it is going to be possible to hook up the trailer. Adding a hitch to the company truck is a bit out reach given the time frame.

All of this because I want to ride Mulholland and see the rock store!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chitza

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

IceCold4x4

Quote from: Chitza on January 11, 2018, 11:12:00 AM
Take a friend  ;D
I'll know more about the trip today but if there is an open seat I'd have no problem with it.

jrobinson

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on January 11, 2018, 12:13:42 PM
I'll know more about the trip today but if there is an open seat I'd have no problem with it.

Rent a bike out there

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

IceCold4x4

Prohibitively expensive. Plus I'll likely only have at best 1 day to ride if not less.

IceCold4x4

This is the rear step I'm dealing with. Thinking about using it as a spot to put the tires and strap to the back door.

IceCold4x4

Better idea

kylepeterson

get some straps and tie it to the roof !
just give 'er the berries !

Chitza

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on January 11, 2018, 12:13:42 PM

Yep. Have your buddy drive the van or ride the bike back.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

IceCold4x4

Quote from: kylepeterson on January 11, 2018, 04:33:02 PM
get some straps and tie it to the roof !
I'd love to see you try and get a 400 lb sport bike up there.....

Gam

I have a Yamaha 250 dt at a friends house in Colorado Springs, we finally decided the best thing to do is for me to fly out there,  rent a minivan and start taking parts off the bike until it fit

IceCold4x4

Unfortunately it's a moot point as our customer just canceled the job. Damn crazy woman. Apparently when she saw the stuff today it reeked of pot too much to be worth bringing back....

norton73

Quote from: Gam on January 11, 2018, 05:14:28 PM
I have a Yamaha 250 dt at a friends house in Colorado Springs, we finally decided the best thing to do is for me to fly out there,  rent a minivan and start taking parts off the bike until it fit

I stuffed the Ducati Monster in my Grand Caravan and only had to remove the mirrors.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

SpeedyR

i know it's a moot point but I use a sprinter van for work sometimes and used a half sheet of plywood (4x4) with one of the Pitbull trailer restraint systems bolted to the sheet. Then the pins go thru the rear axle of the bike and you just roll it up into the TRS on the floor and tie it down loosely.

I've transported my 1290 Superduke and my 950 Super enduro with that setup and it works well. I don't have anything fixed in the van (there are tracks on the sides and floor for attachments) and it's very stable.

I took my 1290 to Miami a few months ago and rode out to Key West for an afternoon, beat riding the bike to Miami.

klaviator

There's always room for a bike!