News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Drones and motorcycles

Started by springer, February 18, 2018, 05:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Yep, drones and motorcycles = great videos?

How great would it be to have a drone follow you while you ride? With out you or someone else fly it? (autonomously)

How about tracking you and avoiding running in to other things too? Like people...trees...other riders...birds?

From the front or the side or behind...you chose? And do it at a set distance?

Well that day is coming...in about 2 weeks. Or that is what these folks think.

They say it can follow from the front, by your side, or behind at 25 MPH...

And this is not the only manufacture to announce a fully autonomously...in the near future.

I am waiting on a autonomously piloted dirt-bike that I can ride.  ;) Just think, me riding with out crashing.  :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Fencejumper09

Non Removable 64GB HD is the only issue that I see besides the $2500 price tag!

I would love one for sure!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Brian A

The Mavic Air does it all.
For $799

I have batted around the idea of buying one, or maybe the Mavic Pro, but so far haven't pulled the trigger.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air?site=brandsite&from=nav

jrou111

I've had hit (sometimes literally) and miss success with the active track on my Mavic. My rule is that I'm not going to do it any more unless I can have the drone in sight. That's because the only times I've crashed it were when I wasn't looking at it.

I don't mind using Active Track on other people riding though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptTqQt8VyKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blx7MllkQmc

But I don't have a lot of people I ride with now so it's mostly shots when I'm stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu2nPo3AmZk

SpeedyR

Quote from: Brian A on February 19, 2018, 09:12:32 PM
The Mavic Air does it all.
For $799

I have batted around the idea of buying one, or maybe the Mavic Pro, but so far haven't pulled the trigger.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air?site=brandsite&from=nav

make it happen before the CO trip!!! ;)

seriously if you happen to get one, I'll borrow a friends DJI and get some practice with it so I can shoot video of you riding. That's always the disadvantage of being the photo/video guy on trips. you don't get much footage of yourself!

after watching the drone footage of a few of the passes out there it looks like it would be ideal. not many trees, not high speed, and beautiful scenery.

Fencejumper09

I will gladly pull the trigger for you Brian! Just send me your credit card info!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on February 21, 2018, 11:22:23 AM
I will gladly pull the trigger for you Brian! Just send me your credit card info!
#METO.   :D

Brian A

Quote from: SpeedyR on February 21, 2018, 10:02:11 AM
make it happen before the CO trip!!! ;)

That is one of the bigger factors being weighed. I'd love to get some good drone video.
But I also wonder if I'd take the time to do so often enough to have made it worth while.

SpeedyR

if you want, ask the group. I used to do a lot of photography on trips (caving usually) where it would be a BIG time factor to do photography during the trip. I normally told folks as I invited them to come with me that there would be a lot of sitting around, but everyone agreed and enjoyed it.

I for one would have no issues with pausing to enjoy the scenery and shoot some better video. I'd even get up a bit earlier in the morning (that's asking a lot for me) to shoot some video.

the biggest thing is having it easy to get to, while still protected. I think if you could get it out and be shooting in 5-10 minutes, shoot for 5-10 minutes, pack back up, it would be incredible to have that kind of video of our ride. Colorado IMHO would be the ideal place to shoot video.

As I said I'd be glad to borrow my buddy's Phantom to get some practice in controlling the bird. I have flown RC helicopters and drones, but not any that are controlled by GPS which usually makes it much easier.

jrou111

I'm actually thinking about selling my Mavic Pro Fly More combo. Y'all could buy it for the CO trip and then resell it after the trip.

Fencejumper09

Brian and Jeff, I am definitely planning some early morning picture sessions! I really want to try to get some sunset and sunrise photos while we are out there! Looks like we may have enough interest to make one of the groups a photo group that takes a little extra time at the scenic spots.

I would be in to throw in on James' Mavic if you guys want to!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT