News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What is your favorite Off-road/on road boot?

Started by springer, March 02, 2018, 10:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fencejumper09

I have the Forma Terra boots and I believe they are one step up on protection from the Adventures but have similar specifications. I have wide feet and they fit great. They are very comfortable but I doubt they would do much if you got your leg caught up in something nasty!

The only issue I have had is a seam on the inside busting out when I put my kickstarter through it!! They are not hardcore offroad boots. I bought a pair of Forma Predators for that!!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Slede

I have a pair of moose offroad boots with atv soles, think hiking boot soles, and I've never minded walking around in them and I've climbed more than a few hills without too much problems in them.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

Frank Smith

I have a pair of Aerostich Combat Lites. I like them because they're very thick leather, still breaking them in.  They're not the best for adv because they're a bit short in height, only 11 inches or so. But the lacing system and Velcro flap make them easy to get off and on.  I've ridden with them in rain and feet stayed dry, even though they're not Gore Tex lined. They don't make these anymore, but can be occasionally found on eBay and forums.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

TC

I have had great service out of my Sidi Adventure GTX boots.  They have kept my feet warm and dry in cold rain and the hardened areas did an exceptional jod of protecting my feet in a BAD accident last April.

Fencejumper09

The Alpinestar Toucans are intriguing and look to provide good protection. Anyone have any experience?
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

KevinB

I bought a pair of like-new A'star Toucans off ADV to try out. They were as stiff and cumbersome as my Forma off-road boots (maybe more so)...great for protection, but more than I wanted for a dual sport boot.

springer

Well I pulled the pin on the Forma Adventure boots just now from Rocky Mountain. I wear a size 9 1/2 to 10 in everything I own, so I got'em in a size 10.

Why did I get them from Rocky Mountain? Well I had a little over $70.00 in their in-store cash stuff so the made it just over $200.00.

Looking forward to trying them out. They got to be more comfortable than my O'neal MX boots...

Thanks to everyone in chiming in and giving me some great information!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

klaviator

Looking forward to your review.  I'm still trying to make up my mind on what to get.

springer

Okay, got them in tonight! Of course I had to try them on.  ;D Fit is pretty good all though if they had a size 9 1/2 is would be a bit better.
Fit feels good across the wide portion of my for and I can just barely rock my foot from side to side in the boot. If they had a 9 3/4 it would be spot on I do believe. Going to wear them to work (but I will not work in them) to get a better idea of the walk around comfort (or pain).

Pictures;

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

springer

Okay, a short review of the boots after a couple of rides.

Plus;
1. Walk around comfort. GREAT! I little harder than a new pair of plain old regular walk around boots but given the protection, excellent!
2. Riding comfort. Another big plus. The boots with the Pivot Pegs = a very secure mount. Standing on the pegs is very comfortable and stable.
3. Protection; Decent. Other boots might be a better choice if you are doing some hard core off-road stuff but for my light duty stuff, they are good enough.
4. Price, @ around $240.00 shipped, they are $60.00- $100.00 cheaper than most other boots of this type.
Minus;
1. The water proof gator does not go all the way up to the top of the boot on mine. It goes up 3/4 of the way. I think the newer models go all the way up. 

Well that is it so far. As I wear them I will keep y'all informed.

klaviator

I just ordered a set of Forma Adventure boots.  I'll post a review once I get them and try them out.

yamahamer

:D I just ordered a pair of Forma Adventure Low today as well.

After riding in my work boots Saturday, I made up my mind.

springer

Liking mine so far...mule tested n all.  ;) Definitely an all day boot.  ;)

SpeedyR

sizing input:

if you are in between sizes always go up a size. remove the OE foot bed, it's usually crap like a piece of compressed cardboard. Go to your favorite sporting goods/mass retailer (Walmart, Target, REI, Dicks, etc) and get a good gel footbed. anything, doesn't have to be fancy. consider the thickness of your OE footbed and who much room you want to take up in your boot and get that thickness or just get what you like. replace footbed. Ride in comfort with a better fitting boot and more cushion on the bottom of your foot from vibration..

I pretty much do this in ever pair of footwear I own. Helps that I have slightly narrow feet so I can wear just about anything and have it be much more comfortable than the stock boots.

as for the other boots- I like boots that have solid ankle protection and a hinge system. Usually by the time a solid leather boot is "comfortable" the protection in your ankle area is lost. I tend to ride with full MX boots, even on multi day dual sport rides but then again I drop my 450lb bike a lot and like having solid protection. I need to find a good pair of goretex socks to wear in inclement weather inside my boots. goretex boots are good but once water gets inside the boot over the top, it takes FOREVER for them to dry out without a fan or something to blow air thru them. I've had in the past Alpinestars, TCX (really liked them) and currently sport a pair of Sidi Crossfire 2 TA boots. fashionable orange and black. :)

KevinB