News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dirt Track Racing in Toney

Started by Argh Oh, September 28, 2015, 01:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argh Oh

On Sun a few folks went to Beaver Creek Speedway for some races. The track is used/made for Kart racing, a 1/4 mile banked clay oval and not what these guys normally run on, but they were happy to be able to race anywhere. The track itself is a nice facility, concession stand, toilets (indoor!), bleachers etc and now I'm really curious to see the Karts run, it's an OLD activity of mine from end of High School days. There were about 25 racers and about as many spectators but they were glad anyone came out at all it seems. Nice folks, good people running the track too. There was 1 maybe 5 yo boy on a little 50cc bike that was let out onto the track too, and you could tell he was really having fun, and went out with another "competitor" a couple times...a parent or sibling or just a friend. They both looked like they were having a ball, the little rider pulling of some amazing last lap passes to take the victory.
There were some vintage and almost vintage dedicated flat track bikes and several converted dirt bikes. All were singles but for one Triumph twin that was the fastest but was really given a run for his money by John Sweet on a single Bultaco 360.  Some pics, click to enlarge until I figure this out:

Ryanbroome

Thats cool. It would be awesome to get a chance to get out on a track like that and experience the thrill of dirt track racing.

jrobinson

Cool. I've been out there several times to watch them race.

A little history... Back in the late 50's my Dad raced flat track around N. Ala. Then in 1973 he bought 100 acres of pasture and woodlands.

The first time I went to watch a race at Beaver Creek, I was in awe that the track was built in the middle of a pasture we owned back in the 70's.

jrobinson

Quote from: Ryanbroome on September 28, 2015, 02:07:28 PM
Thats cool. It would be awesome to get a chance to get out on a track like that and experience the thrill of dirt track racing.

It doesn't take a lot, I don't think. They have a FB page called Tennessee Valley Flat Track, or something close. We had pics and video on the old site. Don interviewed the president of the club.

Ryanbroome

Quote from: jrobinson on September 28, 2015, 02:14:01 PM
Quote from: Ryanbroome on September 28, 2015, 02:07:28 PM

It doesn't take a lot, I don't think. They have a FB page called Tennessee Valley Flat Track, or something close. We had pics and video on the old site. Don interviewed the president of the club.

I'll check em out

Argh Oh

They were with TVFT as far as I know. It's hard to tell from vid and pics but they were cooking pretty well on the track! Particularly watching from about 6' away. As said, they really seemed to appreciate the support. They had some pretty good racing, in a couple of the groups more than others. The feature ended up in a real duel that did in fact get won on a last ditch, last turn pass.  More pics, some Old Fart representing, and a couple more cool bikes.