News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Mixing Business & Pleasure

Started by gharshman, September 12, 2015, 11:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

This was a ride I took in 2013 from Alabama to Texas and back.  Lots of pics from Mississippi.

~~~~~~~~~~

Work required me to go to Houston the last two weeks.  The first week, I flew, but I could not imagine being without a bike for two weeks in a row during my favorite riding month.  Didn't have a lot of time to get there, so I did more interstate on the way there.  But on the way back, I was able to do a bit of sightseeing and more two-lane.  Traveled most of old Highway 80 between Meridian and Jackson, and rode the Natchez Trace from Jackson to the southern terminus at Natchez.  Mostly two-lane from Natchez across Louisiana, all the way to Jasper, TX.  All together, there and back, I did about 1,500 miles this week.

If anybody finds themselves in this part of the South, it is worthwhile to stop at the Mississippi Veterans Memorial in Newton, MS, and also try to stop at Windsor Ruins near Port Gibson, MS.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

One place that I purposely sought to visit was Windsor Ruins, just off the Natchez Trace near Port Gibson.  I had the place to myself for a little while, and it was wickedly quiet.  Definitely worth a visit, if you've never been.

Nice Goat

Another really neat place was the Mississippi Veterans Cemetery near Newton, MS.

Nice Goat

Saw a cool historic marker near Chunky, then stopped and spent the night at my parents' home near Meridian.  They live near a lake, so I took the opportunity to get a few lakeside silhouette shots.