News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Old and Naked

Started by DonJuan, April 15, 2018, 05:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT

Quote from: DonJuan on April 15, 2018, 05:07:06 PM
Sporty naked bikes are more my style, and after looking at Monsters, Speed Triples, FZ's, etc.; I decided to go with a ZRX1200r.

Found a fairly low mileage, clean, stock bike in GA for a reasonable price.  I missed the 1100 that I used to have, so a 1200 seemed to be the logical choice.

It's been 8 years since I've had an in-line 4. I forgot how buttery smooth they are.  I rode about 100 miles today on the ratchety BT-021s that are on the bike. (Circa 2005). It only tried to break loose twice, but I was being conservative on the throttle.

I'm mostly going to keep this stock, and do some much needed preventive maintenance.

I've already got some Pilots on order. Can't wait to get some sticky new kicks on her this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great Bike!! Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

IceCold4x4

Hollar if ya need any help with the maintenance stuff, been through just about everything on mine minus opening the case for a transmission or crank. Join the zrxoa for any info ya need.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DonJuan

I got the new kicks put on her yesterday, and went out for a quick ride before the rain started.  Feels like a brand new bike. The Pilot 2CT's stick like glue( yes, yes, I know they aren't the latest nor the greatest, but I like the feedback they give). Over all, she's a performer.  The transmission shifts smooth and throttle response is great.

Roll on throttle is great through all RPM ranges, in just about any gear. I found myself in 5th on a fairly steep incline and didn't feel the need to shift down. I mostly stayed below 6K while scrubbing in the new rubber, but there were a few spirited jaunts here and there. It's just too easy.

The factory exhaust is thoroughly quiet.  I don't know that I want to give that up just yet. I'll probably surrender to performance gains one day, but for now, I'll live with the oversized, heavy, and environmentally friendly washtub hanging behind the rear sets.

Some minor maintenance items that I need to take care of:
Brakes front and rear
Flush brake fluid
Leaking shifter shaft seal
Seeping crush washer on oil line
Wheel bearings
Rotella and filter change

Anyone got an affordable recommendation for brake pads or caliper rebuild kits?

KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

LT

Quote from: DonJuan on April 22, 2018, 12:31:40 PM
I got the new kicks put on her yesterday, and went out for a quick ride before the rain started.  Feels like a brand new bike. The Pilot 2CT's stick like glue( yes, yes, I know they aren't the latest nor the greatest, but I like the feedback they give). Over all, she's a performer.  The transmission shifts smooth and throttle response is great.

Roll on throttle is great through all RPM ranges, in just about any gear. I found myself in 5th on a fairly steep incline and didn't feel the need to shift down. I mostly stayed below 6K while scrubbing in the new rubber, but there were a few spirited jaunts here and there. It's just too easy.

The factory exhaust is thoroughly quiet.  I don't know that I want to give that up just yet. I'll probably surrender to performance gains one day, but for now, I'll live with the oversized, heavy, and environmentally friendly washtub hanging behind the rear sets.

Some minor maintenance items that I need to take care of:
Brakes front and rear
Flush brake fluid
Leaking shifter shaft seal
Seeping crush washer on oil line
Wheel bearings
Rotella and filter change

Anyone got an affordable recommendation for brake pads or caliper rebuild kits?

I like Galfer or EBC sintered metallic pads. They seem to shed heat well and fade less.  Those are my go-to whenever my stock pads are done. No clue on the caliper rebuild kits.

springer

Quote from: LT on April 22, 2018, 01:03:25 PM
I like Galfer or EBC sintered metallic pads. They seem to shed heat well and fade less.  Those are my go-to whenever my stock pads are done. No clue on the caliper rebuild kits.

Yep...THIS/\ is the ticket. I would check the manufactures site for the rebuild kit and if you want a bit more bite, S.S. brake lines are the ticket there.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

IceCold4x4

Fa188hh for front pads can't remember the rear number off the top of my head.

Expensivelightweightshit.com for the caliper pliers he sells and the seals.

And get a set of the galpher lines. Those plus the pads and a good Bleed / caliper rebuild will really up the brake feel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DonJuan

@IceCold4x4, @merc16 , I finally got around to this brake rebuild.  Core Moto Stainless lines, Galfer pads,rebuild kit from All Balls. A sh!tton of cleaning to prep the parts. I've been posting pics up on the tech page.
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

merc16

Yep. They look good. Will you be going with different rotors ? Possibly: Arashi

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

merc16

Justin