News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The 12 hour tranny swap

Started by bblass, May 15, 2018, 02:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

Quote from: KevinB on May 17, 2018, 12:11:20 PM
You mean like a KTM 450 with a blown head gasket and warped head, that'll probably need a complete new head and crankshaft?

Unfortunately, I just dropped that one off at the dealer yesterday... :(

If it's not too late and you want to mess with it Precision Automotive downtown has done some spectacular head work for me in the past. Think they charged me $25 to plane the deck on my CB750. I know they're who big number 1 farms their machine work out to and may be the same people max uses.

New crankshaft is another story but precision can check that too while they're at it. Modern work at 1930's prices; just tell them when you need it by otherwise it goes to the very back of the pile.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

LawnmowerRG

Great job guys.
Quote from: bblass on May 17, 2018, 11:22:25 AM
In our delirium Fox and I talked about doing a tech day garage party - little longer than most but an opportunity for those who've never done it come and learn. Something like rebuild a thumper from the ground up with the goal of knocking it out in a day.

Anyone have a project they'd be willing to lend for the cause? Might want to wait on @IceCold4x4 to post up on whether or not this was successful first!
This is an interesting concept.
I do have any old Kawi 175 in a trailer at the house.
I have no idea what condition the internals are in, but it could be a candidate.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Fencejumper09

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on May 21, 2018, 01:40:26 PM
Great job guys.This is an interesting concept.
I have no idea what condition the internals are in, but it could be a candidate.

Would be a good way to make a little extra money at Vintagefest! MC-AL Rebuilders!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

merc16

I like the "natural lighting" for the pics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

IceCold4x4

This was left out however... I blame lack of sleep

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bblass

The good news is that just involves pulling the oil pan. Next time we need to stick with our organizational plan. Live & learn!

bblass

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on May 21, 2018, 01:40:26 PM
Great job guys.This is an interesting concept.

That sounds terrific! We could have it at my garage or a clinic at The Bike Shop.

We could even start a little less ambitious. I'd wager there's a fair amount of interest in something like a top end rebuild or carb cleaning and balancing.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

bblass

I've got an old CB450 that needs to be reassembled. If no one speaks up with a more worthy project I'll post up a garage day for those interested.

Fencejumper09

I should probably plan for a top-end rebuild on the YZ! Contemplating if I want to Ironman the PM 24hr race or go do the TN Dirt Devil ride for my birthday weekend. HMMM!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

kylepeterson

when all the parts arrive I'll bring by the kdx in pieces and we can put the magic smoke back in to it
just give 'er the berries !

IceCold4x4

Well it ran today and pissed oil from an external oil hose. But thanks to @kylepeterson all is well. Buttoning up a few cosmetic things and give the coolant another Bleed check but it looks like it will be good to go. Transmission shifted through all the gears on the stand and other than some funny neutral light issue looks good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk