News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Scoot to Live, Live to Scoot

Started by DonJuan, May 20, 2018, 01:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonJuan

I hope some of the Scooter enthusiasts enjoy this post. I'm not a scooter rider yet, however I'd like to own one in the future. I can see myself riding a sea foam green Vespa, or a dual-beamed Ruckus to work one day.

Currently, I'm in a location where scooters are a way of life. At least 50% of commuters here in Wuhu (pronounced ooh-who), Anhui Province, China, choose to commute and rely on scooters for their everyday transportation needs. Generally, the scooters are electric, as the country has regulated gasoline engines for motorbikes to below 48cc.  I have witnessed a few owners with Honda 125's and at least one Suzuki GZ150 motorcycle skirting the laws that Big Brother has imposed.

These riders have minimal safety equipment, not because it isn't available, it just isn't practiced by the majority. One will neither observe the use of fancy and durable Klim apparel, nor Schuberth Bluetooth and camera equipped Snell/DOT Rated headgear here. The norm in this climate is more akin to moto specific rain ponchos, and hand sewn, quilt-like wind guards. Sidi boots of our prosperous societal faction are replaced with work shoes; and sometimes sandals, or even high heels.

Whether economic circumstance or social status quo creates this population of riders is irrelevant. I consider them my brethren, and envy their resilience and bravery to survive the elements day after day.

One day I plan to ride 365 days in a row, to challenge myself to endure and enjoy the ride.  From my perspective, it is almost a luxury to have that choice; from their perspective it is just life.
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

klaviator

Scooters are a main source of transportation in much of the world because they are so practical.  Before I got a scooter I mainly rode on weekends.  Now I ride almost every day.  Part of this is because scooters are so practical and easy to use.  The biggest reason is because they are so much fun to ride.  As easy as a scooter is to use, just getting in the cage and driving to work or the grocery store is even easier.  I choose to ride because it makes even a trip to the grocery store fun. 

DonJuan

I stand corrected: I saw a ZX6-RR Today, and it's audible accostment was well received. It's sound was ferocious in a sea of silence.
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R