News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

what kind of luggage for a 500 EXC?

Started by Gam, May 15, 2018, 04:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gam

So I'm riding a 500 EXC Six Days rental bike on the Idaho Backcountry Route this summer. I'm not a KTM kind of rider, I did ride a 450 exc on the White Rim Trail with no problems, but my choice was a KLR or this and I know these guys I am with will not stick to dirt roads. I won't be camping, lodges and such for 6 nights, so don't have to take camping stuff. I have a giant loop big basin but I'm afraid the pipe will melt it on a 500 and I saw a utube of whatever the smaller giant loop is called being installed on a 500 and they had to drill holes in the rear fender and put some attachment points on it...rental guy may not like that.  I have a larger and smaller set of that cortech saddle bag type stuff, maybe the same problem. I've been looking at wolfman E 12"s, they can be mounted without any drilling. So does anybody have experience with luggage on a 500 exc?  My butt already hurts.

jrou111

I've got a KTM 525 EXC that I mounted up my Nomadrider bag (about the size of a Giant Loop Coyote) on. There is a pipe mounted heat shield between the bottom of the number plate and the pipe, as well as a heat shield down by my boots.

For a trial run, I loaded the bag up with camping gear and tools and rode at Whissenhunt ORV trails. The bike did really well even loaded up I was able to hit all the hardest stuff without dabbing. Then I "took the back way out" i.e. cut through the woods and rode up to Two Wheels of Suches for lunch and rode back via forest roads. It worked really well. Now my butt was pretty sore though, even with a Renazco seat.

If you look hard you can see the two heat shields:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrou111

Here's a better picture. You could easily fab something temporary with some thin aluminum plate and wire. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gam

This bike doesn't have a tail rack, it's the rear attachment points that have me bothered.

Mulley

I just bought a KTM 500. I plan to use a Giant Loop Coyote that I've owned for 8 years. It doesn't require a rear rack or any additional supports at all. It has small metal clips that attach to the render similar to the way some front fender bags mount. I've ridden thousands of miles with it on my DRZ using the fender hook method. I previously had a rack and decided it was just unnecessary extra weight when using the Coyote. 

It specifically lists a rackless KTM 500 on the site.
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/coyote-saddlebag-roll-top/

Mounting instructions.
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/CSB-Coyote-Saddlebag-Instructions-2016.pdf

I highly recommend you install a heat shield on the exhaust can. It will melt the plastic and damage the bag too (I learned the hard way). I just bought one of these from Enduristan. I made one for my DRZ out of an old license plate and some hose clamps. It worked okay but wasn't really stiff enough. I had to bend it back in place every so often. Giant Loop, Wolfman, Enduro Engineering and others make these as well.

https://www.enduristan.us/show-all-products/enduristan-inferno-heat-shield
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

KevinB

I bought a similar set-up recently...Mosko Moto Reckless 40.

I haven't gotten to use it loaded up on an overnight trip yet (just a day trip, partially loaded), but this thing is seriously overbuilt and well thought out.

Disregard the hanging straps...it was a test fit.

jrou111

Quote from: Gam on May 16, 2018, 04:12:58 PM
This bike doesn't have a tail rack, it's the rear attachment points that have me bothered.

Mine has the fender clips and a loop of strap that goes around the rear fender as well. Also webbing and loops to serve as a soft rack to attach a drybag. I'm sure the GL Coyote or similar models (Mosko, Altrider) have the same.

Gam

Yeah, thanks it looks a lot of stuff will work, all I knew about with fender hooks were the wolfman e12's and the enduristan blizzards.