News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Talladega National Forest - street bike roads

Started by Guidedawg, May 21, 2018, 09:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

I'll likely be riding up to Talladega in a few weekends and will take my usual route from Montgomery going up 231 and 21 through Sylacauga.  I was glancing at Google maps to see if there may be any more interesting roads to take going home.  I'm going to assume that the majority of those unnamed roads are dirt, and though I don't mind, I'd prefer pavement for 2-up riding on a heavy cruiser.

Is it worth the (relatively few) extra miles to take 77 South from Talladega and then turn off on either Horns Valley Road or Clay County 7?  That would take me into Goodwater and then Hwy 9 back home.

Or any other suggestions for something more forest/rural or interesting?

Gam

Horn's Valley Rd. is mostly dirt...at least it was last time I rode it,  it can get rutty when wet.

Guidedawg

Ah, I see that now that I pull up satellite and street view images, thanks.

Guidedawg

A co-worker familiar with the area told me that County Road 7 has a tendency to go under water if there has been a lot of rain and not much to be gained for scenery.  He suggested better ride would be to take 77 into Ashland and head back towards 9 from there. 

If I chose to do that I see that Horns Valley/Idaho Road is paved on that side, but do not know if it would offer any more of a diversion than 77 itself.

Opinions?

mojo1

County rd 7 is my usual route when going to My Cheaha. Less boring than just going down hwy 9.
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Gam

Yeah I take 7 a lot when heading down to ride around Coosa County on the KLX.