News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Off of Mountain Fork Road

Started by Frank Smith, May 27, 2018, 07:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doolittle

Quote from: WECSOG on August 15, 2019, 01:21:17 PM
I would like to get a ride together sometime pretty soon, from the PRV side. Maybe start at Jackson County 4 (the road that goes past Hollytree Offroad) and see if we can get to Upper Hurricane Road that way, as the map shows. Might be better to wait a few weeks for it to cool off, and give anyone else who would like to join it a chance to plan.

I was checking out Jackson County back roads on Sunday. There is a gate near 34.851168, -86.322635 (copy and paste to google maps.) You are not getting past it unless you go off road or drag a small bike under it. I guess you could try to drag a big bike under it but damn, it's hot. I would not be surprised to find out you can ride out County Road 3 and take a left and ride up to the same gate. The gate is just past the house for sale on the left.

jrobinson

you can go up CR 3 and come off the mt to CR4 and 106. I would advise you to be very careful on any dirt roads out here just before and during deer season. afterward isn't too bad.

Frank Smith

I went out there Friday night on the GS. Just stayed on the main road till I hit CR3 and came back South on 65 and went back home. It was late and just really nice to slog around on the loose gravel and dry ruts on the pig. Rode by two groups of partying folks standing around bonfires. Thought that was a little odd in this dry weather. A few deer jumped out in front of me at close range. Good thing about that is that I was only going 15 MPH.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

thinwater

I accidently found this route dodging scattered thundershowers early this summer, I want to do it again during fall color change and explore it out some more.

Frank Smith

Just be careful. Hunters lay claim to some of the trails as others have said. Another road nearby is Greasy Cove. It's more rugged and has several more explorable side roads without all the posted signs.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

thinwater

Quote from: Frank Smith on October 11, 2019, 10:40:07 PM
Just be careful. Hunters lay claim to some of the trails as others have said. Another road nearby is Greasy Cove. It's more rugged and has several more explorable side roads without all the posted signs.

Thanks a lot!  I don't appreciate football, wife loves it. So I was looking for somewhere to go.  Went and hit it, all the way to the iron gate on the main trail.  People been going around it and it was possible but I don't do that.  Went back to a side trail and rode it until it was obvious I should have someone else with me for safety purpose.  I did have a Garmin Inreach with me that I could've called the calvary with.  Put nearly 100 miles on the bike this afternoon and rode some serious technical trail...It was a good day.   ;D

Frank Smith

Post some pictures if you have any.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

thinwater

Quote from: Frank Smith on October 14, 2019, 07:46:07 PM
Post some pictures if you have any.

Sorry, didn't have anything with me to take any...So as the younger generation says....It didn't happen. ::)

Paint Doc

Quote from: Frank Smith on May 27, 2018, 06:08:37 PM
I made the ride again today. I used GPS this time. Wanted to see if it would take me to Princeton and it did. I knew there had to be an easier way than going all the way south to 72 and then back up north on 65. I attached a GPX file if anyone wants to see the route. The off-road portion is manageable on a big bike with knobs for the muddy parts. Now I just gotta find the way to Bingham mountain via this trail.

Thanks for the GPX file! I have a few questions about your ride. I tried this road several years ago on my KLR from Bethel Cemetery. I only got a short distance before having to turn around. I was by myself, it was starting to rain, and getting muddy and slippery. Didn't want to take the chance of having to walk out. At another time, I was there with several friends but some locals at the cemetery warned us not to go as it was hunting season.

Looking at your GPX file, from the turn off Mountain Fork Rd. onto upper Hurricane Rd. to Bethel Cemetery is approximately 7.3 miles and took about 30 minutes. Does that sound right?
How rough is the road?I have Anakee 3 tires on my Wee-Strom, do you think I could make it through in dry weather?
I noticed on the satellite view on Google maps there is a nice home on High Top, so I assume the road can't be too rough or they couldn't get to their home.

Thanks again,
Paint Doc
Paint Doc
2013 V-Strom 650

thinwater

Dry, a guy with me did it on a '73' honda 350Four or CB with 4 cylinders if you will, straight up street tires. You can do it.