News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

California Superbike School - a review

Started by bblass, May 29, 2018, 09:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

Yesterday a few of us had the opportunity to take level one of California Superbike School.

Level one focuses mostly on throttle control and planning your turns. This is something incredibly simple but many of us (myself especially) struggle with because we don't have to do it most of the time. When riding on the road we're rarely using the bike to anywhere near it's potential. Because of this we have plenty of wiggle room to adjust a mistake.

How often have you entered a corner and adjusted your line two, three or more times? Do you look at every entry point and plan your line? When commuting or just out riding in general it's typically not something many of us think about. When you do try to kick it up and ride a spirited pace, do you find yourself tensing up, turning in too early and having to scrub speed or adjust mid-corner? If so, this is the course for you!

The day started in the rain. We arrived at 6:30 AM to a soggy track with hopes that the weather would improve in the afternoon. Our first classroom session focused on throttle control - how the right wrist affects traction and the balance of the bike. After a 30 minute block of instruction we were sent out to get suited up and placed on brand new BMW S1000RRs with instructions to stay in 4th gear and don't touch the brakes.

Riding new bikes on unfamiliar track in the rain turned out to be optimum conditions for this exercise. The overall goal was to make us familiar with how using the throttle stabilizes the bike. Our drill was simple - approach corner, roll off throttle to destabilize the bike, dip bike in to appropriate lean angle, apply appropriate throttle to stabilize and maintain line, as corner completes roll on throttle to accelerate and exit. As we applied this drill, our instructors would ride up, demonstrate for a lap and then follow us to note our progress and areas to work on. After each session we would meet with them and received detailed USEFUL feedback on how to improve our riding.

Each drill built upon the previous skill and added one new element to focus on towards the goal of proficient cornering. Many years ago I was a young and invincible enlisted man with no fear and sport bike. I quickly became a statistic and between a few good wrecks and 11 years in the Army I now walk funny when it rains. As older damaged goods - cautious would be an apt way to describe my riding. I overthink corners when riding aggressively and as a result enter too early, have to scrub off speed and adjust my line. Anyone who's gone in too hot and had an "oh shit!" moment knows this isn't good technique and doesn't make for a confident rider.

With each drill our confidence and proficiency increased but it was the final exercise of the day where everything finally "clicked" for me. The "Two-Step" is capstone exercise of Level 1. It's incredibly simple - when approaching the turn identify the apex first, then back track to identify your entry point. As the turn progresses focus on looking as far ahead in the direction you want to go as possible while relaxing on the bars and using good throttle control to maintain stability. Identifying the apex before the turn was the missing link of my riding craft. The added pause of that one step was the answer to my overthinking the corner and hitting entry points too early.

I tried to look at California Superbike School as investment. Yes, it's an expensive day but on the other hand it's cheaper than an accident and an emergency room visit. I genuinely feel the course was worth the price of admission. I hope that with practice the drills we worked on yesterday will become as automatic as tying my shoes. Confidence = enjoyment, and we all ride motorcycles because we enjoy them. I'm looking forward to their next visit to Barber and hope that you will join us there.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

SpeedyR

good for you with getting more instruction. I need to get back on the track after a few years off.

The 'no brakes' drills are great for setting your corner speed, but i'm surprised with the 4th gear. I know when I was spending a lot of time at Barber (worked as a control rider with a group) I would pretty much ride around all day in second gear on a CBR1000RR. This would keep me in front of the majority of the riders, and make it a very low stress day on the track with very little effort (not the fastest way around but only on the back straight and the end of the front straight would I just roll off early).

Friends joke about my riding in the mountains, that I tend to never use the brakes, it's all roll on and roll off even on really tight roads. Helps to have huge "braking" forces when you roll off the gas of a big v-twin (my 950 dirt bike or 1290 street bike) so keep momentum in check.. :)

Mulley

That's awesome that you guys did the Code school. I'm glad to hear that you got your money's worth. I was afraid the rain was really going to mess you guys up.

I really should go do one too. My street skills suck. I haven't been riding any twisties at all.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

bblass

I think starting us in 4th was their way of making sure we didn't take our first few laps too timidly. There was a wide talent spectrum at the beginning of the day and a few riders actually didn't make it past the second lesson before being pulled off. Completely get what you're saying though; later in the day I was leaving the bike in third nearly the entire time.

These schools are addictive. Has anyone here done Ed Bargy's course out at Little Tally? He's got one scheduled for September 29th that we're talking about going to. Come join us @Mulley
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

SpeedyR

a couple of friends are instructors for bargy. if you go let me know and I'll pass along names so you'll know someone there.

I took the Bargy school in 91 and got my race license (this was really before there were 'track days', you just went and did the race school and started racing). Raced on and off for a few years (Honda Hawks, SV650's) and did some endurance racing.

Haven't been back on the track in a few years but plan to get back later this year. More than likely with STT and at Barber ideally. Love that track.

kylepeterson

congrats !  I'm gonna read this again in a few years .... ;-)
just give 'er the berries !

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

LawnmowerRG

Thanks for the shot Fence.

Anyway the school is great. I personally did level 4 this year.
I think the reason for 4th gear is to let the faster people run a little, but it put the bike down low in he RPM range exiting the slower corners. Helps tame he beast so to speak.

Speedy
I don't know how clos to to present your control riding was but the current S100rr could be double the horsepower of that CBR, keeping it low in the RPMs can make them very rideable for someone not used to 200hp.

Back to the program.
If you liked level 1 wait for level 2. It's where you will change your riding in many ways. Really it should be called L1 continued. Everything builds right on top of the L1 stuff directly, and some times you will go I wish that I already knew this exercise.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

LawnmowerRG

Here is a link to Brad's photos from the school.
I am on the GS in the White Group photos.

https://www.etechphoto.com/2018/Motorcycle/52818-Barber-Mon-Cali-Sbk-School-

renchinrider

Gents, any idea when the next California Superbike Course will come to Barber (or Little Tally)???
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

springer

Looks like that is it for this year;

Date    Track    Format    Cost
Your Bike/Our Bike
Feb 17/18   Las Vegas Motor Speedway   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
March 15/16   Streets of Willow Springs   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
March 17   Streets of Willow Springs   Single Day School   $440/$725
March 18   Streets of Willow Springs   Single Day School   $440/$725
March 19/20   Streets of Willow Springs   CodeRACE   $1950/$2650
March 22/23   Mazda Laguna Seca   2-Day Camp   $2750 Our Bike Only
April 2/3   Mazda Laguna Seca   2-Day Camp   $2750 Our Bike Only
April 4/5   Mazda Laguna Seca   2-Day Camp   $2750 Our Bike Only
April 7/8   Las Vegas Motor Speedway   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
April 12/13   Streets of Willow Springs   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
April 14   Streets of Willow Springs   Single Day School   $440/$725
April 15   Streets of Willow Springs   Super Single School   $680/$875
May 7   Virginia International Raceway   Single Day School   $525/$725
May 8   Virginia International Raceway   Single Day School   $525/$725
May 9/10   Virginia International Raceway   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
May 14   New Jersey Motorsports Park   Single Day School   $525/$725
May 15   New Jersey Motorsports Park   Single Day School   $525/$725
May 16/17   New Jersey Motorsports Park   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
May 21   National Corvette Museum   Single Day School   $525/$725
May 22   National Corvette Museum   Single Day School   $525/$725
May 26   Barber Motorsports Park   Single Day School   $540/$740
May 27   Barber Motorsports Park   Super Single School   $680/$875
May 28   Barber Motorsports Park   Super Single School   $680/$875
May 29/30   Barber Motorsports Park   2-Day Camp   $2750 Our Bike Only
June 9   Streets of Willow Springs   Single Day School   $440/$725
June 10   Streets of Willow Springs   Single Day School   $440/$725
June 11/12   Streets of Willow Springs   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
June 14   Buttonwillow   Single Day School   $525/$725
June 16   Thunderhill   Single Day School   $525/$725
June 17   Thunderhill   Single Day School   $525/$725
June 26/27   Mazda Laguna Seca   2-Day Camp   $2750 Our Bike Only
July 9   The Ridge   Single Day School   $525/$725
July 10   The Ridge   Single Day School   $525/$725
July 11/12   The Ridge   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
July 13   The Ridge   Super Single School   $680/$875
July 30   New Jersey Motorsports Park   Single Day School   $525/$725
July 31   New Jersey Motorsports Park   Single Day School   $525/$725
August 1/2   New Jersey Motorsports Park   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
August 6   Virginia International Raceway   Single Day School   $525/$725
August 7   Virginia International Raceway   Single Day School   $525/$725
August 8/9   Virginia International Raceway   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
August 20   New Jersey Motorsports Park   Single Day School   $525/$725
August 21   New Jersey Motorsports Park   Single Day School   $525/$725
Sept 8   Streets of Willow Springs   Single Day School   $440/$725
Sept 9   Streets of Willow Springs   Single Day School   $440/$725
Sept 10/11   Streets of Willow Springs   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
Sept 14   Buttonwillow   Single Day School   $525/$725
Sept 17/18   Mazda Laguna Seca   2-Day Camp   $2750 Our Bike Only
Sept 24/25   Sonoma Raceway   2-Day Camp   $2750 Our Bike Only
Sept 29   Thunderhill   Single Day School   $525/$725
Sept 30   Thunderhill   Single Day School   $525/$725
Oct 2/3/4   Mazda Laguna Seca   3-Day Camp   $3900 Our Bike Only
Oct 6/7   Las Vegas Motor Speedway   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
Oct 19   Streets of Willow Springs   Super Single School   $680/$875
Oct 20   Streets of Willow Springs   Single Day School   $440/$725
Oct 21   Streets of Willow Springs   Single Day School   $440/$725
Oct 22/23   Streets of Willow Springs   CodeRACE   $1950/$2650
Nov 7/8   Las Vegas Motor Speedway   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
Nov 10/11   Las Vegas Motor Speedway   2-Day Camp   $2550 Our Bike Only
Nov 14/15   Mazda Laguna Seca   2-Day Camp   $2750 Our Bike Only

Share: FacebookTwitterGoogle+
Back to Posts List

Link to the site I got the information from;

https://www.longbeachbmwmotorcycles.com/--blog?post=9218853419585819153
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

LawnmowerRG

@renchinrider
The Supper Bike School is at Barbers around the last weekend of May every year. Could be the first weekend of June some years.
They added a day so the signup is not a frenzied as past years.
But earlier is better.
The official schedule will be posted on thier web page late November or early December once all track dates are set.

gulfcoaster

Do they have leathers to rent?  I might be really interested in doing this next year.

IceCold4x4

Yes leathers, helmet gloves, boots the whole enchilada if you want.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kylepeterson

Sunday I followed bblass around some fun roads... amazing what a day of instruction can do for a fella! smooth smooth turn ins, smooth exits, looks like the money was well spent!
just give 'er the berries !